When Did It Become OK to Mount R&P on I Beam Axle?

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Re: When Did It Become OK to Mount R&P on I Beam Axle?

OK guys, I have over 10,000 miles on my set-up and the only issue I have is a little play in the slipshaft. That is going to be addressed by using a splined shaft in stead of a double D shaft as it presently has. The double D shaft I have used has a lot of over-lap and a grease fitting, which I grease often, but over 10.000 miles of use has gotten a little wear, so I will be installing Flaming Rivers splined slip shaft. I have worked with them on this since they are a half hour from my house. I measured the travel on my shaft and even when lifted on a 2 post lift and the axle hanging, the shaft traveled 3". You have to take in account, the shaft does not mount up and down, but at a laid back angle, so the axle travels up and down more than the shaft goes in and out. I do not get ANY issues with drive-ability. It actually steers easier than the manual mustang II rack on my other truck with IFS. My mounting brackets are 1/2" plate and 3/8" plate and I am certified in structural welding, so I know the welds are good. The brackets are attached with 5/8" grade 8 bolts with poly lock nut plus stud and bearing locktite. I had already rebuilt my Kingpins, made new bronze bushings for all the spring eyes and mounting eyes for the springs, new spring bolts and the shackles are good. My rack is a manual Omni rear steer rack as to keep the rear steer axle, rear steer. My tie rod ends are high quality sealed 5/8" heim joints. I know about the liability issues, but it is my truck. If I ever sell it, it will get the stock, hard to steer gearbox put back in. Yes it can be done and work correctly and steer nicely, but it MUST be well thought out, built sturdy and do the home work on the geometry. I put the time and effort in doing it right, I don't build anything half-assed. My other truck, Got Rust didn't win the Best Engineered Award at the IH Nationals for nothing, as I was honored to receive that award. My yellow truck has my designed, disc brake conversion and R&P steering on it. I will step down off the box now, I just had to comment after reading this thread.
Bill
Oh and the welded threaded barrels on the tie rods in the photo were for mock-up Only, I turned a solid set on my lathe before driving it, just failed to update the photo.
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Bill, thanks for posting this - I've been considering a similar set up for my '39 Dodge truck. Gotta be safer than the worn out (and almost impossible to rebuild) stock steering box!
Attachments
P1020371.JPG
This is my last old truck, unless I find another one.

1935 International C35
1939 Dodge TC
1940 Ford Tonner
1969 Ford F250 4X4
2000 Chevrolet 1500

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 am

Bill. I am considering R&P for my KB-2. I'd like to know how you mounted yours. Also in regards to your disc brake conversion, Did you use the stock rear brakes? Did you install a booster? Thanks in advance for any information.
Pfff........To those who say it can't be done!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm

I went the website for No Limit Steering to inquire about their "I" Beam mounted rack and pinion system.. They re not making this system at this time and will not be making it again. I was given the Name Performance On-Line Steering. I do care enough to check this second site out, but for those who want to follow up on this
https://www.performanceonline.com/steer ... car-truck/
I am not making any recommendations one way or the other. This is not a steering system I am interested in.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB