My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame - TAKE TWO

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Re: My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame - TAKE TWO

Thanks MACGIVER, it's coming along. Primer is blocked and it's taped up and ready to paint the lower championship white tomorrow. I'll let it sit and cure some until Monday and then I can re-tape to paint the jet black on the upper part, with some fineline.

windigo69, the humidity here is very low right now and the primer flashed in 5 minutes the other day. I have plenty of desiccant filters on the line and gun right now and feel good about it this time around. I added a length of rubber hose to my compressor tank drain bung with a valve on the end, to make it easy to drain the tank. Now I don't have to crawl on the floor to reach under the tank to drain it. Sure makes it easier. With the humidity so low right now, there was hardly a mist coming out.
We are in a drought situation here is Georgia and have several fires burning in the forests. The smoke in the air south of Atlanta where I am, has been awful. A break today with winds blowing it elsewhere...sorry Carolina's.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Just curious Bob, do you use a sealer over your primer ? I've been using it on the last few paint jobs, but I've also sprayed without sealer too, with good results. The fires are a real shame. My wife and I love our annual motorcycle trip down the Blue Ridge and the thought of all that scorched earth is depressing. The Great Smoky Mountains, literally. Stay well and good luck layin' down the shine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:50 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Just curious Bob, do you use a sealer over your primer ? I've been using it on the last few paint jobs, but I've also sprayed without sealer too, with good results. The fires are a real shame. My wife and I love our annual motorcycle trip down the Blue Ridge and the thought of all that scorched earth is depressing. The Great Smoky Mountains, literally. Stay well and good luck layin' down the shine.

No, I'm using epoxy primer and it doesn't require sealer since it is the sealer. I put 5 coats on and block sand it before painting with 400 grit. It comes out pretty flawless.
I'm sure the Parkway has the smoke and would not be a fun place to be right now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Ok cool. I let the epoxy flash then apply a 2K primer and block it . Sanding epoxy is like sanding a concrete floor. That's a lot of elbow grease for sure!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Ok cool. I let the epoxy flash then apply a 2K primer and block it . Sanding epoxy is like sanding a concrete floor. That's a lot of elbow grease for sure!

Interesting, thst your epoxy is so hard. I use tcp global restoration shop epoxy. Its called dtm, or direct to metal epoxy primer and it sands easily.
Great to work with. It can be reduced to act as a sealer. What brand do you user?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:47 am

My local paint shop is National Coatings, and its house brand is what I've been using on my last several projects. When I did my Trans Am I used the epoxy and blocked it like you and struggled to say the least. After that I spray one wet coat of epoxy, let it flash, then spray two coats of their 2K primer. Much "softer" and easier to sand. I block, re-prime, block, re-prime, etc. until I'm happy with the results. I understand your method, just never tried it, your epoxy seems to be a different animal. I was always afraid to build too thick and have problems, even though you are taking most of it back off. Bottom line is your results are outstanding (contaminates aside) so keep doing what works. Again, different roads, same destination.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:44 pm

The black is back! I finished painting the cab "again" today and I have to say..I am so happy that it's over with. I'm now back to where I was many months ago. Now I can move forward.
black paint back on 009.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Beautiful.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:55 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Beautiful.

Thank you!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Finally back where I was months ago. Can't wait to move forward with the rest of the panels.
reduced size.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB