My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame - TAKE TWO

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 am

Re: My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame - TAKE TWO

Looks great! I'll bet it does feel like a milestone reached.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 am

dean466 wrote:Looks great! I'll bet it does feel like a milestone reached.

Dean

Thanks Dean, it does! A huge weight lifted off my shoulders and now I can move forward again. I've gone from amateur auto painter finisher to the next step...whatever that is...semi-screw upper

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:06 pm

captainbob wrote:
dean466 wrote:Looks great! I'll bet it does feel like a milestone reached.

Dean

Thanks Dean, it does! A huge weight lifted off my shoulders and now I can move forward again. I've gone from amateur auto painter finisher to the next step...whatever that is...semi-screw upper
Ha! I resemble that remark! Lookin' great Bob. Like I said before, I admire you going back after it. I read (somewhere) your post about the backstory on how you came to name your project. Incredible! Glad it all worked out. Looking forward to following your build.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Just wondering, did the paint on the inside of the cab not have the same problem, or do you have to do that too?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:44 pm

kyoung wrote:Just wondering, did the paint on the inside of the cab not have the same problem, or do you have to do that too?

Good question. For some reason, the inside is not blistered. It was painted at a different time. Very little of the interior paint actually shows when I'm finished. If I have a problem with an area or spot, I'll just deal with that specific area. There is no way that I would tear the interior out of the truck to do the inside unless all of the paint fell off the metal! I'm determined, but not that determined! lol

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 pm

After months of delay redoing paint issues, I am finally moving forward again. The front clip is done and on the truck. Next is the hood, then the doors. All the metal repair is done on the hood and door bottoms. New Bear Claw latches have been adapted to the doors. The body work and paint is what I will do next on them. Will post pics when they are done. Here is a few of the front.
002.JPG

007.JPG

004.JPG

011.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 am

looks nice. good work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Movin forward! I'll bet that feels great. Looks terrific.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 am

CaptainBob; I have looked at your project of and on for a couple of years now. Great truck, great attitude! You and many of the others on this forum keep me inspired and informed. Some members I use for their electrical knowledge others for mechanical abilities.

You’re patience with the repaint is admirable and maybe I can learn from that. The input from others regarding painting is also educational. I’ve seen McGiver’s work on this forum and it is very impressive. I’m a 74 yr old rookie with a smattering of basic mechanical skills. Other than trying to keep the KB1 as close to stock as possible I will be reworking and painting the fenders. Your lessons have taught me, going forward, to pay much attention to my air supply.

Again; very,very nice truck . Your TLC and patience shows.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 am

Bobby K1 wrote:CaptainBob; I have looked at your project of and on for a couple of years now. Great truck, great attitude! You and many of the others on this forum keep me inspired and informed. Some members I use for their electrical knowledge others for mechanical abilities.

You’re patience with the repaint is admirable and maybe I can learn from that. The input from others regarding painting is also educational. I’ve seen McGiver’s work on this forum and it is very impressive. I’m a 74 yr old rookie with a smattering of basic mechanical skills. Other than trying to keep the KB1 as close to stock as possible I will be reworking and painting the fenders. Your lessons have taught me, going forward, to pay much attention to my air supply.

Again; very,very nice truck . Your TLC and patience shows.

Thank you Bobby K1 for the kind words! I'm 73 and was 68 when I started on this project. Being retired, I work on it most every day of the week...I don't know if that is good or bad, but it keeps me out of the donut shops. I enjoy staying busy and this has filled the bill. Enjoy your project and also enjoy learning from others as I have. Google and Youtube are my friends, of course we can't forget Lazze.
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB