POWER WINDOWS

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

POWER WINDOWS

I just finished installing power windows in my KB 1 panel delivery truck which has the KB 6 and larger cab with the doors like the "D" series with the round corners on the bottom. I used the Specialty Power Window standard units and they just barley fit, the KB doors are not very thick. I don't think these units could be installed if you were not going to install custom door panels to finish the doors. I had to cut a 2-1/2" channel up the middle of the interior door panel to get the power window track installed. I was unable to get it in through the IH door access panel. I also had to flatten the raised area where the original window crank is located.

I also located and cut the holes for my door speakers and the door to door jamb wire loom conduit at the same time. If anyone out there is going to try installing power windows, email me at spikedog27@yahoo.com and I will send you pictures.

Spikedog

HERE ARE SOME PICS AS REQUESTED:

1. Slot cut in sheet metal for track installation
2. Top adjustment slot for track
3. Panel boards to be upholstered and applied later
4. Wire conduit bushing
5. Shop made armrest to be upholstered later
6. Top view of armrest with cutout for finger grip

ImageImage
Last edited by spikedog on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: POWER WINDOWS

You, Sir, Are a braver Man than I. My Hat is off to you.

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Spikedog - Maybe you could post them on here as a sticky like you did for the window channel. Please.
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering"
Freemnan Dyson

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm

thanks for the photos spikedog. i thought about power windows but did not want to do the surgery you have done as i wanted to retain the stock inside door panel. i will have to do some investigation when i get to that point.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Nice work on the panels. That is a tough job. What are you going to use for covering?
Build,drive. What more can I say.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm

I used ELECTRIC LIFE power windows in our 1940 Ford Sedan. I thought the Ford doors were tight, but your truck doors are really tight. I wonder if ELECTRIC LIFE power lifts are thinner? It might be worth looking into if someone else is thinking about PW. FYI: the '40 doors are less than 4 inches, inside. ELECTRIC LIFE units are about 3/4" thick and cable drive from the motor, which can be mounted separately, although the motor mounting options are limited by the semi rigid cable drive.
BTW. I used Ford power window motors adapted to the R120 regulators on our '53. A Fox Body Mustang module window wire harness and switches just fit the R120.
Nice job! I've always admired your work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm

This does not show anythingother than the modular switches from Ford. The modular idea works really well for transplant because it is all "plug-and-play".

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l51 ... indows.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Packrider wrote:Nice work on the panels. That is a tough job. What are you going to use for covering?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I think I am going to use Ultraleather or Dolce which are both synthetic leathers from the Miami Corp. I have used Ultraleather before and I like the way it feels and it is very pliable and easy to form.

Spikedog

Return to The Modified K-KB