Turbo Green Diamond?

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Turbo Green Diamond?

I would live to discuss the feasibility of adding a small turbocharger to an other wise stock Green Diamond with a carb. I have fabrication and machining skills, but no idea where to start other than by research. Any suggestion as to were I might start?
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Turbo Green Diamond?

Oldbike,
In my opinion, the best place to start is by reading 'Turbochargers' by Hugh MacInnes.

http://www.amazon.com/Turbochargers-Hug ... 0912656492

It gives an excellent education on what's involved and more importantly why.
It also tells you how to match the trubo to the application.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm

I think Bill was thinking about that in the future, would have to be sized correctly, are you talking draw thru or blow thru, I have a draw thru on the 240 BD over head valve.

http://s1121.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 1685080264

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Thank you for the book suggestion. I just bought a copy on Amazon for $1.21!
I don't know enough at this point to say about the draw-through vs. blow-through issue. What are the pros and cons? With a blow through system, does the carb have to be in a pressure box? That system looks well thought-out. Are there any more pictures available?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

When you get the book it explains both systems, draw thru is old school, blow thru has more mods like fuel pump pressure must be over the boost by some amount, carb must be moddified etc. Tunning with both systems can be a different world, I got lucky with my old truck, I would not do it with a non fresh engine. I will post some more pics. If yoy did that maybe it would be the first IH flat head turbo in the world.
I will add, I dont know alot about flat heads, except they had a hard time getting air compared to the overhead valve motors.
I know my pops did hop them up though.
Attachments
Copy of DSCI0462.jpg
InternationalPickupFarSide.jpg
InternationalPickupCloseSide.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm

I'd really like to see someone put the time (and money) into turboing a GRD. I think it would take some time and fab'ing to get it done, but would be something different (a whole lot better then the norm of stuffing a SBC under the hood) and wouldn't be superized if it could double the output of the flathead.
Time would have to be spent on the gearing to take advantage of the addional power or it would still be a 45 MPH truck.
I have in the back of my mind, turbo'ing a BLD, but it is far down on my list of things to spend money on.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Just mental exercise

I am not saying it makes sense. I am really just exercising my brain and it makes for great conversation.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Oldbike,
I would be very interested in watching a project like this come together. In general, I believe head porting and maybe larger valves that benefit a naturally aspirated engine would really help a turbo flathead. Pressurizing the intake manifold will help overcome inefficiencies in the intake path, but more heat will be added to the air. In other words, the turbo will work harder to generate a given amount of power increase. So an intercooler may be beneficial at a lower power level than would be considered necessary for an overhead valve engine.

I hope I clearly explained what I'm thinking.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

That's what I am talking about!

" Pressurizing the intake manifold will help overcome inefficiencies in the intake path, but more heat will be added to the air. In other words, the turbo will work harder to generate a given amount of power increase. So an intercooler may be beneficial at a lower power level than would be considered necessary for an overhead valve engine"

That's what I am talking about! An interesting conversation about what might work. I was concentrating only on the need to overcome the inherent airflow problems, but the added heat adds a new twist that makes it even more interesting.
I am looking forward to the upcoming research/conversation/fabrication.
As I think I mentioned before, this is all new to me.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Sounds like a very interesting project to pursue. i'd be interested in following the build up of this as well.
48 KB-2 on 75 International 4x4 chassis

4? M5H6 with solid type cab and front winch
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB