Cab is on the chassis and installing parts

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Cab is on the chassis and installing parts

The cab is finished and it is on the chassis for good. I am installing parts now, like the pedals and linkage for the clutch and brakes. The brake master cylinder is installed, the radiator, the hydraulic clutch has a new custom high pressure hose from the gm pump to the Dakota steering rack..thanks to NAPA's hose man. The seat is in, so I can position the gas pedal. Next is the brake lines. This is a lot more fun than welding in patch panels and doing body work! Notice the custom gear shift knob from Australia..I was bitten by a black widow, almost died and spent a week in the hospital on morphine for pain...the knob gives me the heebie jeebies but I like it. I hope I get accustomed to it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: Cab is on the chassis and installing parts

I like what you are doing. It is nice to see a man on a mission, with a vision and a plan. This is where the do nothing critics will start the no SBC for me. Forget them. If I were not a Diesel guy, this is what I would do. Interesting two tone.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I like what you are doing. It is nice to see a man on a mission, with a vision and a plan. This is where the do nothing critics will start the no SBC for me. Forget them. If I were not a Diesel guy, this is what I would do. Interesting two tone.

lol..it's a hot rod! It is supposed to have parts from other vehicles. It has a Dodge Dakota chassis, 327 ci Chevy engine with the Dakota 5 speed manual trans. Seat is a third row seat from a Town and Country and has a center armrest. Tail lights will be from a 39 Chevy and nos front turn signals from a Datsun Roadster. The color scheme is one I saw on a Chevy pickup. Here is a picture. I really liked it as soon as I saw it a year ago. Not for everyone.
Attachments
1940_International_40_Pickup_Truck-feb19.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I like what you are doing. It is nice to see a man on a mission, with a vision and a plan. This is where the do nothing critics will start the no SBC for me. Forget them. If I were not a Diesel guy, this is what I would do. Interesting two tone.

By the way, I already have a diesel truck!
Attachments
032.JPG
Last edited by captainbob on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm

Sorry to hear about the spider bite, glad you came out OK. The shift knob is one way to face your fears. Great work on the truck, looks great.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Wildmanbill wrote:Sorry to hear about the spider bite, glad you came out OK. The shift knob is one way to face your fears. Great work on the truck, looks great.
Bill

Thank you Bill. Believe me, I never pick up anything outside without looking for spiders first. They are under everything here in Georgia. That is not something I want to go through again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 am

'By the way, I already have a diesel truck!'

With an International engine, probably?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 am

You're right, it has the Navistar International IDI 7.3 diesel engine. She's not quick but steady!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:17 pm

I put one of those idi 6.9 engines in an R120 and added 4X4. As much as I neglected and hoped that engine would die, so I could replace it with a Cummins, it plodded along slowly for a leaking 225,000 miles. I like the sound of the idi but the weight is huge at 1150# and 140 hp????
That R lives in the Nicola Valley in BC.
While a novel idea, it was a bad idea.
Just after this R was on the road, I went to the WASNEY'S FORD recycling to buy two of those DIESEL badges that Ford used with the 6.9 F trucks. My son and I were in the customer parking and fitting the DIESEL just under the INTERNATIONAL when two smart asses in white cotton clothes, gold chains, Grecian formula yellowed hair and GUCCI loafers, parked beside our R120. One of the know-it-alls was very bold in his condemnation of our putting DIESEL labels on the Binder. "It isn't going to work", he said. And when he did not get a response from either of us, he really got into his tirade of vicious insults. When we had the DIESEL badges installed, I asked my son to give it a try and handed him the keys. The 6.9 growled to life and made DIESEL sounds as it idled. My son yelled out at me, " Hey Dad, it worked again". Now Mr. Smart Ass wanted to know some details and I suggested something about sex and travel being something he should consider, sooner than later. My son handed me the Louisville Slugger from under the seat and the party ended just as quickly as it started.
Attachments
DIESEL.jpg
R120 IN 1991.jpg
At the company show and shine. I took best in show, again
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 pm

The minimal two tone looks excellent! What a great choice. The trucks looks great.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB