4WD Diesel KB6

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Re: 4WD Diesel KB6

Thanks for the compliments!

I used a 1999 Regular Cab Long Bed 2500 Frame. I don't have any pictures of the mounts at the moment. But they are pretty basic and not very pretty but they are functional. For the front of the cab and fender I cut a piece out of the original frame so I would get the spacing correct at that mounting point and welded the piece I cut out to the frame. Boxed it in for strength. As for the rad mount. I had to cut the very forward crossmember out of the Ram frame and used a piece of angle iron, drilled two holes in it and mounted the radiator to it and placed it where it needed to be in the frame. The Ram frame had everything welded to it from the factory so I figured it wouldn't hurt to do the same. As far as the fender mounts go I just modified the factory IH mounts to work on the Ram frame.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 pm

I drive a 1999 2500 RAM. When the time came to replace the front bearing cartridges, I had a http://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-kits/dodge-truck.html system installed. I am pleased with the product and I would do it again.
Attachments
RAM 2011 WHEELS WARN HUB.jpg
2007-01-27_dynatrac-hub-kit.jpg
2011 WHEELS. 1999 RAM WARN HUBS
2007-01-27_dynatrac-hub-kit.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:56 am

Wow , just checked out the pictures of your truck , wheels on the ground , awesome , looking great !

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for documenting this! What's been done is REALLY cool! Drivelines and fuel system should be pretty straight forward. I suspect you'll have this pup on the road shortly. The travails of trying to get the steering figured out are illuminating and your attempts at finding a workable solution are an excellent example for those of us who find themselves in the same fix. I was bit surprised at the sudden course change from the FE/Clark to the Cummins/4500, but where you've got to is impressive. This will be fun to drive and it should be pretty reliable. Good job!
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks Freckles! The sudden change of course came about because of a number of things that all happened at once. I found myself fabricating many wear items that in the event of failure couldn't be found at a local parts store. Things such as steering linkages, undercarriage parts, etc. I found a whole 4wd running gear locally for a fair price. And also I really wanted a diesel. We have a 12v in a truck we use on the farm and the engine is very reliable and low maintenance. Plus the Cummins/4500 dropped right into the new running gear without having to make mounts or much modification. In short, the solution to my growing list of problems was to simply upgrade the whole ordeal. Which although I had to buy ANOTHER running gear and engine, sure simplified and sped up the build.

BTW I have some more to update. I got my driveshafts made to length and installed. Also decided on my bed. We have a 76 Chevy C20 that has been parked since the clutch went out of it. It had a flatbed built by my dad and uncle years ago. It wasn't a direct swap though. The frame on the 76 Chevy was 34" and the Dodge frame was 38" So I had to cut off the old rails and made new ones with new stands and bolted the bed on the truck. Also got the fuel tank in and the fuel lines hooked up.

Mocking the bed up. The final height is just a little bit lower than what you see in these two pics.

Got it stood up after I cut the old rails off.

Pic my girlfriend took at about 12:30 in the morning after we got the new rails and stands made. This is the bed at its final height on the truck.

Had to roll the truck out of the shop to put a new deck on our lowboy so here is the only other pic I have with the bed at its final height.

Oddly enough the day after I got the flatbed mounted, a buddy of mine called and said he found a stepside IH bed that had been made into a trailer that he could get ahold of. $50 later I had it. Sadly it was a short bed and would be difficult to use but it's worth it to just have.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:07 am

That Short bed box is worth that and much more. lots of fellows like the short box. Myself, I like the long box stuff.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Hello all again. Well, I finally got the truck driving. Sorry no more pics my photobucket decided not to work but i have a video of me driving it ill try and upload somehow. All i have left to do is brake work, floor, interior, bumper, running boards, glass, and wiring. Everything ahead looks so easy after all ive already done. Needless to say i was smiling from ear to ear after i got out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Post the video to YouTube then post a link here.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Okay, got a video up

https://youtu.be/nRMFEdrHtaY

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:40 pm