4WD Diesel KB6

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Re: 4WD Diesel KB6

Nice work, nice truck. It's good to see one driving, some never make it to that point. Love to hear that turbo whistle!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello again. Another update. Got the power brakes working. Just involved making a few lines and bleeding the system. Ran into a snag v with the engine though. After a few longer drives and the engine warmed up i noticed the headgasket started leaking. So i pulled the head off, had it gone over. Got the gasket and put it all back together. That fixed the leak and i hope it holds.

Also found some headlights. The headlights out of a mid 70s Chevy truck are a direct fit and are 12v with both high and low beams. Only thing I'll have to convert to six volt should be the wipers and maybe the heater.

Also got the exhaust work done. Decided to go with dual stacks between the bed and the cab.

Fabbed up a shifter for the transfer case.

Also put better wheels and tires on. They're wheels off a Hummvee. Steel 2 piece beadlock 16.5" with integral run flat and 37" tires. They're much stronger and better than those aluminum wheels and swampers that I had on it.

Also built up and mounted the factory IH KB6 bumper on. Built it strong enough to hit and be yanked on for recovery.

Running boards are on and i raised them a little higher than factory.

So far i havent had any problem with engine temperature running the KB radiator although with larger core. We will see how it does in the summer

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 am

Sounds like great progress! Do you have more pics?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:10 am

Short video i took after headgasket replaced

https://youtu.be/n0Q2EFpvPLI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm

I like your new wheels. I think they are a better fit for the style/character of the truck.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks, I agree. I had gotten used to the old wheels but i think these fit and look much better. I still havent gotten the fenders or hood back on since the new wheels have been on but I'm looking forward to seeing it

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 am

That thing is a BEAST !!! 4WD no less , I've been wondering about your truck , great to see the progress .

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Another update

Got the body put back on

Got the floor pan in and finished up.

Got all the lights converted to 12v and wired up the truck and bed. Still need to wire up the trailer plug and trailer brake controller.

Got it plated and insured.

New headgasket seems to be sealed up good.

Fixed a valve cover gasket leak that came about from an incorrect install procedure on the upgraded head bolts that I put in.

Hooked up the Posi-lock cable on the front axle so I have 4wd now. Also the Posi-lock cable allows me to disconnect the front axle from the passenger wheel so it effectively gives me the ability to use the low range in the transfer case to achieve 2wd low range. Which is great for crawling around or backing trailers in the shed.

Have driven the truck on the road about 100 miles or so and have had no problems with it. Tires were out of balance so I took them to the tire shop to have balance beads put in them. The o-ring broke on one of the rear wheels when they took it apart so I ordered a whole new set and had to drive home on some stock ram wheels. They were only 31" and chrome vs the 37" and black on the front. Looked awful, couldn't hardly bare to be seen in it.

Anyway getting ready to order my glass kit and see about mounting some tool boxes under the bed as well as mud flaps. Maybe build a bumper for the rear. Also mount up a better seat.

Heres some pictures

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Hello again!

Another update for those following.

I ordered a complete glass kit from Bobs Auto Glass. So I replaced my side windows and put new window channels as well as window "whiskers" in. The windows roll up and down and seal up very well.

My door latch spring broke so while I had the door apart I took the latch mechanism out and heated and bent a new hook in the spring. Cleaned and lubed it all up and put it back together and the door opens and shuts much easier now.

Also wired up and installed a trailer brake controller and plug on the rear. Have pulled the cattle trailer with a heifer inside and car trailer with a little Allis-Chalmers and all works well. Plan on installing a gooseneck hitch in the bed soon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

I am watching and I approve.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB