Latest pic of truck

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Latest pic of truck

Since this is pretty quiet, here is a pic of my K1. Still in many pieces and not close to running but I finally have a roller!

I found 4 rusty Cragar SS wheels on Goodyear radials on craigslist. Shaved the sidewalls until I hit white. Bolted them on.

I'll probably go with chrome reverse wheels or plain steelies but I freed up some jack stands.
Attachments
truck-side-new.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Re: Latest pic of truck

Like those Crager SS wheels, they would look sharp on a 67 Cougar. They look sharp on your truck also.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 pm

The wheels look good from here..I had those same cragars on my first 68 firebird,,they start to rust as soon as they come out of the box. I have seen other tires shaved,,how do you know which tires will be white below the surface? Looking at the location of your spare tire...that was how mine was mounted but i thought it stuck out too much so I spent,,,oh bout 12 hours to get it tucked up as closed to the box as possible with the tire under the box rail about 1".

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Looks good, Rick. It was great meeting you today. Good luck with the truck!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:26 pm

windigo69 wrote:how do you know which tires will be white below the surface?

I didn't know so I just did it. These are Goodyear Eagle ST tires. I don't plan on using them so why not try?

windigo69 wrote:Looking at the location of your spare tire...that was how mine was mounted but i thought it stuck out too much so I spent,,,oh bout 12 hours to get it tucked up as closed to the box as possible with the tire under the box rail about 1".

Funny you brought this up. I have to change the mount to work (tire hits one of the braces) plus one of the studs is a wheel stud and one is a coarse thread bolt. Farm truck. The bottom bolts are frozen and will require some heat. The rear mount flange/bolts are torn from the bed side. I'll probably need 12 hours too. :o

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:18 pm

With a long box you can get the spare wheel tucked in close and below the box rail,,,the spare is a 215/70/15 . Does a nice job of filling that big gap.. I have a vintage riveted tool box filling the gap on the other side

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Think we had a thread a year or so ago about "homemade" white walls. look for White lettering on the tires, also White stripes, those generally indicate white under the black and about 3" to 4" wide. Just keep in mind, that does take some material off the side wall. Looks great, but would recommend radial tubes for those tires.
Just my 1/5 of a dime.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 pm

my KB1 has the original swing arm under the bed for the spare. i bought a late model pickup cable retractor for a spare that i going to try and make work.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:29 pm

Windigo69,

I'd like to see the tool box you mounted on the other side, and how you mounted it. I am thinking about maybe a vintage cooler...(?) Or not. I am still in the planning stage...

Thanks!

Bill

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I purchased a vintage cooler (Falstaff beer of all things) to use in the bed of my KB1.
Next

Return to The Modified K-KB