My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: My 48 KB-1 on a 96 Dakota Frame

Bob, I coming back to your post. Great info and thanks for the pics. The frame on my K1 was in pretty good shape so I reused it. Your swap looks like a great alternative.

Here are a few pics of my frame. The frame is heavy and took 4 guys to move it.
Attachments
frame-after.jpg
frame-snow.jpg
frame-before.jpg
Last edited by rick on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 pm

I would have used the original frame and was planning too, but mine was rusted so bad that I could bend it easily. I can't believe you say it is that heavy as mine weighed so little that I moved it around by myself before cutting it up. It was like very lightweight thin metal. lol
I will have more pictures soon as today I started fitting the engine to the Dakota frame using the oem mounts>they are new. I am making an adapter out of 1/4" steel plate because the mounting holes are offset from the Chevy block holes.
I did have to cut a very small amount out of the firewall at the bellhousing because I want to install the engine as far to the rear as possible to make room for the new aluminum radiator and electric fan.
I still have the original radiator and it does not leak. I used it temporarily on a 64 Impala project I was selling, so I could start the car. It was missing it's own. For sale PM.
Good day today..good progress getting the engine out of the garage and into my outdoor shop and into the IH engine bay. Also let me move the 77 Kawasaki KZ1000A project into the garage.
Never ending projects, but having fun.
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:48 am

Update on some progress. The engine is mounted in the Dakota frame and the motor mounts worked out as planned. I used the original Dakota motor mounts..new ones anyway. I made a 1/4" steel plate to adapt the Chevy engine to them. The width worked out perfect and since the mounts pivot, they fit into the frame brackets like a glove. Here are some pics of the adapters I made and also some showing the mounts. There are some showing the Dodge AX15 5 speed adapted to the Chevy 327 engine. Some pictures show how the throwout bearing retainer had to be cut off the original to allow for the adapter to be installed. The engine sits to the right of center just like the Dodge engine did and it allows great clearance for the steering shaft and U joints.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:36 am

Wow looking fantastic.

Just make sure you have go enough room to get things like the distributor out without having to take the cab off. Also make sure you can do any normal mantainence work like getting the plugs out.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 am

slospeed wrote:Wow looking fantastic.

Just make sure you have go enough room to get things like the distributor out without having to take the cab off. Also make sure you can do any normal mantainence work like getting the plugs out.
Trevor

Thank you Trevor, yes at the moment the distributor appears to be locked in but I am planning to do an alteration of the firewall there, when I remove the cab to do the body work. It is on temporarily right now for the mock up. I should have used the HEI distributor that has the coil separate, but I went with this Mallory that has the coil on top. The coil actually will remove and possibly allow the distributor to be removed. There is plenty of room everywhere for maintenance and lots of room above the engine for the air cleaner.
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 am

Update in pictures of the work that has been done on the cab since last post. Not in order. You can see where I raised the section of the firewall about 2" for the distributor. Currently working on the rear of the cab wall at the bottom. About ready to blast the whole cab and get it in epoxy primer.
[imghttp://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/Bobbinalong/1947%20International%20Harvester%20KB-1/IH%20Forum%20Pics%202-11-14/0072_zps1d9b3df4.jpg][/img]
[imghttp://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/Bobbinalong/1947%20International%20Harvester%20KB-1/IH%20Forum%20Pics%202-11-14/2-3-14017_zpsbf2fe57c.jpg][/img]

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 pm

looks like you are making good progress. thanks for the update.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm

your project looks great! I have a 1952? L110 panel that I have been considering going with your frame choice. My frame was butchered some a donor has been considered. Keep up the post. I have been watching avidly.
George

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 pm

dragon wrote:your project looks great! I have a 1952? L110 panel that I have been considering going with your frame choice. My frame was butchered some a donor has been considered. Keep up the post. I have been watching avidly.
George

George, thank for the compliment! If there is anything I can help you with, let me know. I have many pictures of the progress and what I have done to make this as easy as possible. There are some facts about the cab mounting that makes it an easy adaptation. I am using as much of the Dakota as I can including the cllutch and brake pedals and hanger. Will be great to have rack and pinion steering instead of the standard steering sector of an S-10. I am only loosing 2 inches of depth in the bed using the Dakota where the S-10 looses much more.
Bob

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Dean. I see your baby moons. Did you stay with the 6 lug wheels all the way around? I've been thinking of lookin for a 92 so I could stay with 5 lug. Is there much difference thru the yrs in the frame? I had seen a 95 on craigslist cheap(whole truck). It would have been a great buy. Problem is..I am disabled right now & have very little money coming in. I'll just have to wait till I'm back to work. LOL Story of my life. Thanks for your help>
George
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB