Modified gauges

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Modified gauges

I'm converting my K1 from 6 volt positive to 12 volt negative. Gauges are always a challenge.

Here is one approach to replace the fuel and oil pressure gauges.

Take a spare gauge set from your old Mustang and replace the guts with the K1.

Here is what I started out with.

Here are the guts of each.

Here is the new fuel gauge installed. I'm not sure if I'm going to paint the pointer red like the original.

The gauges are the exact same size. The original pointer is a little longer but I didn't want to try to pry off the old one and replace it. Now I need to find a oil pressure gauge and a volt gauge.

rick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Modified gauges

Looks good and a relatively easy way to upgrade..no doubt there are new kits of mustang gauge repops on the market if someone does not have an old rustang in the back 40..paint the pointer,,,leave the short pointer,,always short on fuel..

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm going to be mating a 88 Ford F-350 diesel to my kb-5 and I should be able to do the same thing with my instruments. Thanks for the idea, it's brilliant and cheap!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm

When you use the newer gauge heads, also use the senders and current reg that goes with them. The newer system is not compatable with the old senders, the old senders have the pulse function biult into the sender and if used with the newer heads will thow off the reading, esp if another pulse regulator is used ahead of the guage head.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 pm

cornbinder89 makes a good point. if you are updating your truck with modern parts, stick with similar make gauges. I've read some are updating their trucks with Ford power so I offered a cheap and easy solution for them.

Check out the gauges in Summit racing. They provide a lot of info and what kind of sending units you will need.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 pm

The gauges are King-Seeley (sp) you can also use ones from a 70's ford truck (read easier and cheaper). You have to be sure to get ones that are swing the proper way. From failing memory you have to get the ones that pivot from the top of the cluster, not the side ones (like the stock Kb one are) as one style moves the opposite direction from what you want. Then you can buy new senders for the ford gauges and mount them in your KB tank and motor.

Return to The Modified K-KB