Pile of Parts

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Mustang II crossmember?

The wine is in case you mess up. :rotflol:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 pm

rick wrote:I've spent a lot of hours figuring this out. I finally think I understand how this works and how to cut the cross member and towers to fit the frame.

The cross member is tacked in and I need to cut 1/2" from the towers. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it welded in.

Not sure why there are a couple of wine case boxes in the pic. I don't even drink wine.

Yikes! That's the challenge of the universal kits,,hopefully you get it right. My kit was pre engineered so no cutting involved,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:45 am

Here is a pic of the cross member welded up. Now I'm working on motor mounts.
Attachments
front_xmember.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 am

My friend Steve Esau just did one of these. He is our ( Central CA) IFS installer. I've done a few, but not on K series. I did a D2, it seemed to fit right on?
Anyway, I can give you Steve's number but I have to ask him if it's ok first. Don
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Your engine appears to be sitting too low. I am guessing it is setting there for mock up but here is mine installed and it is too LOW. My oil pan is only 4'' off the ground. I should have put my wheels on and set it on the ground when I made my engine mounts. That's too low at times,,I plan to raise mine 2". The top of my intake manifold is 10" below the engine bay cross rods.( or whatever those 2 adjustable rods are called) I am the master of disaster! Also in the final stage the location of original fuel tank interferes with running dual exhaust. Something else to consider. Aftermarket tank fastened at the rear between the frame rails would be the best choice IMO.

another view of too low

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks. I have only created cardboard templates for the motor mounts. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow. I know I can't remove oil pan without raising engine.

I don't have wheels/tires either. Probably should get something.

Not sure what I'll do about a gas tank. The original tank had patches and was still rusted out. Someone here posted a 16 gallon F150 works. I'd like to use the original fuel filler/opening to keep the appearance look stock. I'm familiar with the Mustang tank between frame rails. I have one in another project.

I just measured my OT project and this has 4.75" ground clearance. No problems with 10+years of driving. Maybe I've been lucky!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Still no motor mounts but I do have steering! I cut off the steering shaft, welded in an adapter to DD. I also used some Delrin for a bushing to hold the column and shaft. A couple of u-joints, and $6 of 3/4" CRS later. It helps to have a buddy with a mill, lathe, TIG, ... and would rather work on my project than his project.

If you look closely, you will see the master cylinder. Not sure how that is going to work....
Attachments
steering-shaft.jpg
steering.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 am

Looks good and having the steering shaft in place makes things easier as far as positioning engine, I used 3 joints to get around my exhaust manifold. Do you have power brakes? Is that a new brake unit?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm

no power brakes. Just a Corvette MC (1"?). I don't want it forward like the original so I'm putting it under where the battery was and use a bellcrank pushrod.

I have a very similar setup in an OT car and the brakes are fine.

BTW, if you have time on your next Twin Cities visit, PM me.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:13 pm

windigo69 wrote:Your engine appears to be sitting too low. I am guessing it is setting there for mock up but here is mine installed and it is too LOW.

Thanks Windigo69. I moved the engine up and now I have 10" from the bottom of the headers to the ground with wheels/tires on.

Here is tonight's motor mount pic. I need a new rack to u-joint shaft since the one I made was short and moved made the u-joint right where one motor mount was going.
Attachments
motormount.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB