Good motor and tranny swap?

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Good motor and tranny swap?

vanislander wrote:We used the Ford p/s pump (rack style) on the chevy s10 steering (box style) and it worked great as well.
I actually like it better, because its not as touchy and has some resistance.

I've driven a couple buddies street rods and both have over sensitive power steering. They say it is the Mustang II rack + GM power steering pump.

Van, if you know the donor for your Ford P/S pump, let me know and I'll send it along.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

We used the pump from the 88 lincoln doner car.
We used the serpentine belt and just built an idler where the a/c compressor was.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Sounds like the Ford PS pump with the Jag (GM) rack should be a good smooth pairing. I was more worried about blowing something out if the pressures were too great.

Thanks guys.
Build,drive. What more can I say.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 am

I have been chasing a wheel alignment issue still, but have driven around for about a week and these Jag front ends are sweet!
I am giving up and taking it to a shop for some fine adjustments. its just a wee bit out.
I had to tip my rack backward a touch to clear my headers, but if you don't have a clearance issue, you should be fine.
Doing that I had to adjust the tie rod ends, and haven't got it perfect yet.
Also make sure your Jag cross-member is as level to the floor as possible, It can make a difference.
I bolted mine (no welds on frame) in so I have some adjustments in the future, so if I change the "rake" I can adjust the back mounts and make it level.
I have no bump steer, and the brakes are awesome.
I would recommend this clip application to anyone.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

I put a '64 chevy 283, muncie M-21 and 10 bolt rear in mine. Sweet!

Hard to go wrong with a small block chevy.

I mounted it the old '55-56-57 chevy way, with the 2 motor mounts up front, and the 2 transmission mounts on the bell housing. This left lots of room in the engine bay for headers, steering gear, etc.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 am

I got her back from the alignment shop. It seems when I shimmed up the Jag cross member, I was out a little bit on the rear mounting. I had to add a little shim to the rear as my caster was off , and actually tipping forward.
A few pcs of poly as a block and now it sits level with the road.
I thought I was close enough but, a few degrees makes a big difference.
If I had welded it in, I would have been out of luck. But because I bolted it in, it was a half hour job.
The truck now steers excellent, and is a pleasure to drive. It was good before, but uneven pavement would make it feel a little touchy.

If I can make a recommendation to anyone using a jag clip. Try and use the Jag mounts, it will give you options in the future, welding is so permanent..
I can still drop the suspension by cutting coils, and have a dialed in front end
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB