4WD Diesel KB6

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Re: 4WD Diesel KB6

OOOOOOH! I LIKE that stance much better than Darnell's,("Welderup's"),'48 Diamond-T/Cummins/Dodge 4X4 Build,on "Youtube"!!...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0iI79F6jnY Your Build is AWESOME!!! THANKS for Sharing!!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks! Its going to get taller tires to help fill out the wheel wells and to help with the 4.10 gearing. But I'm not going to have them sticking out past the fenders like on Steve's Diamond T. I've got one truck like that already and living down a gravel/dirt road I can't keep the dang thing clean.

Some more progress. I bought another 12v engine because the one I purchased with the NV4500 had a crack on the right side of the block and had been welded and cracked again. The engine ran good but I found a good running engine close and snatched it up. So I pulled the engine/tranny/Tcase back out to do the swap. One thing I like is how easy it is to pull the whole powertrain in and out of this truck.

I also bought a set of pedals and steering column support as the one I got with the parts truck was missing the clutch pedal. I got it in and mounted and my steering column and brake master cylinder mounted as well. I opted to used the dodge steering column as it had tilt function and was easily compatible with the dodge pedal assembly and the steering intermediate shaft. I will change the wheel itself out though to something not dodge branded.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Does your cracked Cummins block have 53 cast into the side of the block just below the oil filter? The 53 blocks were sometimes the victim of cracking from casting problems. I have a 1999 53 block and so far no problem, but then this engine has not run in a decade. I bought this complete 24 valve at an insurance company auction of recovered parts from a chop-shop the police had shut down. My 24 valve has less than 1000 kilometers.
The isb 24 valve has the complete electronics. I bought the information I will need to make this Cummins work as a transplant into a non Ram application. My plan I to do something like you have underway.
My IHC is an "R" Orrville crewcab that will have an 8 foot box and Dana 60 axles. The transmission is an NVG4500 and the transfer case is an NVG dld241. I am looking at using a frame from a front engine motorhome, unless we build the frame, here.
I like your work space and your work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Does your cracked Cummins block have 53 cast into the side of the block just below the oil filter? .

Yes it does. If you want to check and see if you are at a risk of cracking problems you can pull a freeze plug and check the wall thickness. I believe its supposed to be .256 Any less than that you might be at risk. Regardless it sounds like a cool build! I'd like to see a build thread once you get started on it.

Thank you for the compliment on our shop. Its a rather large messy space with tractors and trucks coming in and out all the time. My project has been the butt of many jokes being it ties up a bout 1/4 of the shop and doesn't move.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 am

My.Dad opened his first farm shop in the early 1940s. He did repair and fabrication for himself and others. Dad's two younger brothers painted NIKKINUTSHOP on the outside of the shop to be an insult. Dad left the name on the shop and when I was old enough to have my own space,I called it NIKKINUTSHOP.
The two younger brothers remained stupid, unskilled and annoying all of their lives.
:moon1:

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 pm

This is exactly what I want to do. It's good to know that it can be made to work.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Some more slow progress. I've spent most of the month chasing parts to get my Dana 80 rear end together. Between trying to get the right shims and spacers and yoke. Finally got it together and bolted under the frame. Put my 38's on and rolled it out to clean the work bay up some. Also got the other engine bolted up to the trans and stuck in the truck. Got the radiator mounted up and am working out the fan and aftercooler setup. I have room for the mechanical fan but it sits too low on the radiator so I would either have to find a hub assembly off a non dodge version of the engine to raise it up or run an electric fan. Haven't decided on that. But the steering is hooked up. So with a couple driveshafts, some brake lines, and fuel lines and aftercooler and radiator plumbing I could take it for a spin around the lot!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 am

Those wheels and tires fill the wheel wells nicely!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:01 am

So a question. Did you use an extended cab frame or a regular cab frame?

Some pictures of you cab to frame mounts would be nice. Also a pic of the front rad/clip mount would help me at some point too. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:51 pm

I am truly sorry and surprised about your "53" block developing a crack. I was under the false impression that the 12 valve blocks did not have the crack problem.
I like you work and thinking outside of the "box", so to speak. And another thing, your build is and will be so much better than that Diamond "T" from TV. TWIGGY is easy on my eyes
PreviousNext

Return to The Modified K-KB