Some bed pics

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Some bed pics

I was thinking more along the lines of just get the whole piece bent new instead of patching a bit here and there. I won't argue that this is cheaper but you add days to the project and you have an inferior end product.

I guess I don't really want to come across as criticizing what you are doing. But I guess if that is what it sounds like then maybe I need to learn English better.

I do have to say that I admire some of the projects that people take on in this forum. Some of the rust shown in the pictures is a lot of work to repair.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 pm

It is always a challenge to fix something yourself, but the joy of doing it is there. I am on several forums, and most of the rust I have seen on these trucks are nothing to what I have seen on some of the Cougars that have been "restored" on the east coast. I enjoy seeing what everyone does.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:15 pm

I don't feel like you are criticizing, everyone is entitled to their opinion and yes you are right in it does take longer and I guess is somewhat inferior when done but I do get some satisfaction making and putting in the patches also I like the fact that I am keeping mostly original sheetmetal when possible, but nothing wrong with the new sheetmetal either, it does save lots of time.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 am

Your treatment of the tailgate makes me think there's a better way to repair the lower roll and hinge, than the way I've done mine. It's broken almost all the way across, and the lower roll has big-time rust bugs. Now I know a better way to repair mine. Thanks for your pictures and description of the repairs involved. :D
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:08 pm

You are welcome glad it helped, mine sounds like it was pretty much like yours it was pretty rough it had a solid bar welded along the bottom and was pretty much rusted all the way across.
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB