Turbo Green Diamond?

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Re: Turbo Green Diamond?

Yes Kevin, I had this in mind for my GRD that is fresh and sitting in the barn. I just need a truck to put it in. I won't take the Quad4 out of Rusty and I don't think it would work as a towing engine in my yellow truck which might get a Cummins 4bta for a towing engine. The turbo GRD 214 will have to wait for my next truck project.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Obviously, the static compression ratio of the GRD would be ideal for turbocharging. Since it's been 40 years since I've owned a GRD, I can't remember whether it used head bolts or studs...but I seem to recall that studs will hold better when you start jacking up combustion chamber pressures. Also remember that simply adding more pressure won't extend the RPM range of the engine. Besides the obvious crankshaft harmonics, your camshaft grind may also limit engine RPM's. [Hudson Hornets, with their 308 CID flathead 6, were prone to crankshaft breakage at about 4800 rpm, +/-....which was a function of harmonics, as well as block and crankshaft design...according to the Hudson experts at Clifford Performance.] Porting and "relieving" a flathead to handle more flow would almost be a given...as well as looking into the idea of replacing the cast slugs with some forged pistons. [I'm pretty sure IH was big on using forged crankshafts and rods, but I can't say for sure that this is the case on the GRD engines.

But a good seal on the topside [piston rings and valves] is a must on a turbocharged engine...so it's not something I'd go into half-fast, with an engine in need of rings or a valve job.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Buzz, for me it is to produce more power Within the stock RPM range, not to exceed it. A turbo on a GRD would work nice for someone with highway gears in the rear, that way the GRD would pull it up to speed a little quicker, than taking a country mile to do so. I had 3.55 gears with the stock engine, it would cruise at 65 all day, but took part of the morning to get there, LOL
I want the turbo also for the WOW factor, at shows with the hood up.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I agree that I don't want to extend the RPM range, just produce more pull.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I put an EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER on the C69A Ford Flathead V8 in our 1940 Ford. I'm using a TEC3r engine management system. Google,TEC3R .It is a very sophisticated system and expensive. There are much less expensive options available now. I like Kevin's system better than blow through. Keep the boost low and the engine will last and reward you with much improved performance. Bill Hamilton of Hamilton Fuel Injection does Binder conversations. Bill has a good and informative web site. Google Bill Hamilton Fuel Injection.
I will post a few pictures later, I don't know if it is possible,for me, from this tablet.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l51 ... AFAIFS.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l51 ... 7864be.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone has got any new information on Turbocharging a GRD.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940
Previous

Return to The Modified K-KB