wheels for ford explorer 8.8 rear end

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am

wheels for ford explorer 8.8 rear end

Does anyone know the offset and back spacing that one uses for wheels to fit a ford explorer 8.8 rear end used on a KB3?

I have read some indirect suggestions that a 4 inch backspacing with no offset would work. Is this correct? I just want to know for sure before ordering wheels which will not work.

Also, for those having done the ford explorer 8.8 conversion, what size tires have you used? 16X 7.5 ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Re: wheels for ford explorer 8.8 rear end

If this were my truck, I would be looking for the steel wheels Ford installed on many of the Police Crown Victoria cars. I do not know the bolt pattern on your K truck, but, and if the Ford bolt pattern fits, these wheels could look really nice.
If you get the 15 inch wheels you could use a bigger tire and possibly get a softer ride. CV wheels also came in 16 inch.
This may be your opportunity to add some alloy wheel bling to the "K" truck.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:49 pm

That's a great idea.

It is a ford 5 X4.5 inch bolt pattern, so I would assume that the crown vic wheels would fit. Thanks for the information (again!), I really appreciate your helping out.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 09, 2021 9:09 pm

hawkeye2009 wrote:Does anyone know the offset and back spacing that one uses for wheels to fit a ford explorer 8.8 rear end used on a KB3?

I have read some indirect suggestions that a 4 inch backspacing with no offset would work. Is this correct? I just want to know for sure before ordering wheels which will not work.

Also, for those having done the ford explorer 8.8 conversion, what size tires have you used? 16X 7.5 ?

this is what I did:
viewtopic.php?f=28&p=67221

I found a pic
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2366&p=54356#p54356

Return to The Modified K-KB