45 K-8 build

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 am

45 K-8 build

This thread will follow my 1945 K-8 truck as I begin the process of transforming it from its current state of yard art into something functional.

I have not yet decided exactly what I am going to do with the truck but I now know it's going to be modified with modern components.

My goals for this truck are to have a daily driver that can be used for small deliveries at my soil & compost business. I would like to be able to use it as a service truck for when I do onsite grinding so I would need the ability to carry my compressor/welder/tool boxes. I plan to build a container for these things that I can pull on and off the truck with a forklift.

Must haves

- daily driver
- medium duty robustness (class 5-6 capabilities)
- modern diesel
- flatbed dump
-aesthetics as original as possible for cab
- trailer hookups

I haven't actually started doing anything but research so I am more than open to suggestion.

Right now I think I have narrowed it down to two paths

Path one would be to reuse the current cab and frame but replace engine,transmission,axles etc.

Path two would be to swap the cab onto the chassis of a modern medium duty truck like an international 4700.

I'll be posting pictures as I go but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am

Re: 45 K-8 build

The heavy K's differ not all that much from the medium and heavy IHC's up thru the 70's. The RED was made and used up to about 1970, I have a '69 Fleetstar so equipped
So I guess I am saying the frame and suspension are fine for what you want to do. Gearing is an open question. You could start by looking at what the gearing is now before proceeding one way or another.
A late model RD 450 would be a bolt in upgrade to the 318 it likely has now. If diesel is a must, than a 466 from a late model medium truck or school bus might be a cheap donor.
The K's front suspension and steering set up can make be a problem on some swaps. with the steering inboard of the frame and at the back, you have to check room. Having said that, are you going to keep the stock, or fit some sort of powersteering and change the front suspension?
The heavyer K's brakes are very good, but parts are not easy to find, esp rear wheel cyl. These can be sleeved and should then be good for as long as you live. Shoes can be re-lined.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: 45 K-8 build

What about a 1970s 1600?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/5660361072.html

Found a 4x4 nearby that has a good price.

Power steering would be great. I don't know anything about the 1600s. But maybe this would be a good candidate for my k8 body to sit on.

Return to The Modified K-KB