turbocharging a green diamond

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

turbocharging a green diamond

Have a fresh green diamond that's going back in a 1946 kbs5 , I would like to do something different rather than repower, what i,d love to do would install a turbo on the green diamond , has anyone out there ever done this , an if so what info would they like to share the Dave Hunter

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Re: turbocharging a green diamond

It's been brought up for discussion several times here on the site, but I don't know anyone who has actually turbocharged a flathead. Kevin put a turbo kit on his '50s BD240.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=228

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:00 pm

A turbo can really boost an engine's performance. It must never be forgotten that performance is added heat. Because of the exhaust driven compressor, there will be additional heat in the exhaust system and the OEM valves may be the first victim.. Of course the amount of heat will depend on how hard a person flogs the engine. The enemy of these old engine is over speed, and a turbo will operate better when the engine speed increases and produces more hot exhaust.
On these old engines I prefer to use a supercharger. Ford made tens of thousands of the Thunderbird SC Turbo Coupe. the EATON M90 superchargers are plentiful and very inexpensive. I bought two of them for little more than pocket change. One of the Eaton M90 superchargers has been installed on our NONIHC 1940 Ford and the build is on this forum.
If a person buys one of these Thunderbird M90s, try to get the intercooler with it. I am using the intercooler because the engine is fuel injected.
If a person were to build a system where the carburetor is before the supercharger, the vaporized fuel could supply enough cooling and an intercooler may not be needed. It is very important to have well sealed ducting connections because, if the pressurized air/fuel mixture can escape, there could be a flaming torch.
What ever you chose will require some serious fabrication. Depending on one's skill level and dedication it may only be "time in" or an overwhelming disaster.
Going faster quicker has been referred to as cubic dollars. I do not dispute any part of that. Just so you know what you may be getting into, I have well over $15,000 into our supercharged engine. $5000.00 was for the ELECTROMOTIVE engine management. The TIG welded charge air ducting was another grand and included several hundred hours of cutting and careful fitting into very limited shared space.
The original IHC driveline should be able to handle the extra boost of power, unless you drive it like you stole it. Brakes may be a situation if more speed is involved.
An engine is an air pump. Some of these pumps are more efficient than others. These old valve in the block engines can benefit with assisted aspiration.
Remember that boost is a measure of resistance and nothing more. A turbocharger and a supercharger are both air pumps and each only moves a volume of air. If all of the boost is not used by the engine/pump, the extra charge air is boost pressure. Boost is not a bad thing, when a valve opens.
These old Green engine start with very low compression and should be compatible with modest boost. A higher octane fuel may be required to control the dreaded and engine destroying knock.
Just to put things into proper focus, our Supercharged Ford Flathead powered Deluxe Sedan has taken over $107,000 out of my car-build-account. thankfully the build is only a few hundred dollars away form that first start and drive.
Our engine of choice is a V8 Flathead and other than the cylinders configuration, the combustion chambers in a Green Diamond 6 are not that different.
Attachments
EFI SUPERCHARGED.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:39 pm

There is a guy on YouTube who did a neat turbo on a Chrysler flathead 6. I can't access the link at the moment or I'd post it.

Also, this turbo Studebaker flathead is pretty interesting. They did a very nice job, which also means it probably cost a small fortune.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/do ... eadsix.pdf

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for posting those links. I enjoyed each one.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Return to The Modified K-KB