Perkins diesel swap?

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Perkins diesel swap?

I'm considering a Perkins diesel 4-108 to be put into my 1949 KB2. It's a 4 cyl.. Anyone got any idea's? Or is there a 6 cyl diesel out there that would fit in under the hood without chopping out the compartment.?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Perkins diesel swap?

An SD33T from a Scout would probably fit. A Cummins 6AT may be another option. I haven't tried to fit either.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:03 am

I put a small Perkins in a Toyota pickup once. Lots of power but not enough rpm for highway speed, figure on swapping out the rear axle for something with tall gears. Trying to remember but seems like it was the 4-236. Your 4-108 is only 108 Cubic inch probably too small. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 am

http://youtu.be/piPq01w1YHo
I think I am predictable when I suggest putting a CUMMINS in your KB2. It fits, it works and weighs about the same as the lump of iron that comes out. I hear persons say that the Cummins 4bt is difficult to find, now. While I agree to a point, there are fewer for sale now than when the Bread Trucks were being retired and the market was flooded with the 4bt and 4bta, but I was able to fine a few for sale last week. Expect to pay about $3500 for a good running 4bt and that could include a transmission. The other good news is that all of the engine block to transmission adapters from the Cummins 6bta (Dodge Ram) fit the 4bt.
Google the little PERKINS engine uses and I think you will find that it is rather light duty. The other engine that was suggested was a gen-set engine from ONAN and may not be strong enough for a sporty ride in an old IHC. There is always the situation of being able to get the adapters for installation ahead of a transmission.
My son and I have a project L110 in the works that involves installing a Cummins 4bta with a TH475 automatic and 4X4. Look for it in the BUILD OFF SECTION on this forum as L110 Shorty.
My friend salvaged a Volkswagen V10 turbo Diesel and he thinks that I should use it in an IHC. While just about anything is possible if someone throws enough money at it, and as much as I like the VW V10, I cannot wrap my head or allowance around this option. Check You Tube for a VW Toureg V10 Diesel pulling a 747. http://youtu.be/qESZQU9a2uY
Attachments
THE FIRST TEST FITTING.jpg
first test fit
IMG-20110602-00152.jpg
this goes in there
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:18 pm

I can't remember for sure but I think a 4-108 is under 50 hp or so.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Return to The Modified K-KB