rear spring modifications

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

rear spring modifications

I read somewhere that you can remove every other spring in the rear to lower the vehicle. Can anybody confirm this or any discussion on the possibility?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: rear spring modifications

You can remove some Leafs from the spring pack. I would only start with one or maybe two and see if that does not achieve what you want. As long as you are not going to Haul much of any weight in the back end, it should be OK. It will soften the ride and lower the frame closer to the axle, you will want to make sure that there are some rubber bumpers to "bottom" out on, instead of the axle.
Just my thoughts
Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 am

I removed my overloads as well as 3 leaf springs and used 2" lowering blocks. There is still good carrying capacity on the remaining springs. I hook up to my 17' boat and the bumper doesn't drop at all and the trailer a bit tongue heavy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

i recently read an article in a magazine (can't recall which one) a short time back that advised against removing leaves in a spring , as it would put pressure on the spring above by the end of the spring below where it was not design to handle it, and result in a broken leaf. anybody had issues like that?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 am

windigo69 wrote:I removed my overloads as well as 3 leaf springs and used 2" lowering blocks. There is still good carrying capacity on the remaining springs. I hook up to my 17' boat and the bumper doesn't drop at all and the trailer a bit tongue heavy.

Your truck has a real nice stance to it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 pm

[quote="windigo69"]I removed my overloads as well as 3 leaf springs and used 2" lowering blocks. There is still good carrying capacity on the remaining springs. I hook up to my 17' boat and the bumper doesn't drop at all and the trailer a bit tongue heavy.

I want a big ole umbrella like that. Where did you get it and did you make the hitch attachment for it? Very cool!
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks,,, I got the umbrella on ebay and made an attachment to slide it into my receiver. Also put lock pins on adapter so umbrella cannot spin freely. The bumper brackets in the pic were old overload springs off the truck,,those were replaced last week with much beefier 3/8 steel plate brackets for heavy towing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x9-Hanging-Off ... 2c740460a1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 am

Sorry, I am slow to respond, I didn't get notification on the post. Great job on the umbrella, and I appreciate the link. I found them on ebay and will get one. I have other vehicles that I sometimes show and that is a great way to keep cool while staying close to the vehicle, as well as shade for a picnic.
Bob

Return to The Modified K-KB