Good headers

The "Hot Rod" version of the K and KB truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:48 am

Good headers

Is anyone using headers on their SBC in their K model. What brand? Shorties or full length. I would like to see a picture of the driver side header if possible as I am not sure if my steering shaft will interfere with header installation. thanks..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 am

Re: Good headers

Here is a shot of my block hugger headers on my 48 KB-2 with an SBC 400, it shows the driver's side with the steering shaft.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Looks good,,,thanks,,those headers really do hug the block... I moved my steering column over a few inches to the right during the build and then 3 u-joints to get to the rack,,,you had to be there..but now I dont see any problem putting shorties on..thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Borgeson and Flaming River both say that you can use to of the knuckle joints on a steeringn shaft. I had to use two on my 65 mustang to clear the headers. can't really tell from the photo if there just one joint or two.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:33 am

I used 3 Sweet joints plus a support bearing to connect column to rack. Wasted too much time trying to use u-joints out from the pick a part that just could not do angles without binding. The aftermarket joints such as Sweet or Borgenson can do 33 degree angles as I recall.,,,and yes thats a block heater.
I can also see Wildmanbills engine is set about 3" higher than mine,,,very good planning on his part. So my engine is too low, too close to firewall, wrong colour, but it runs great! Possibly this winter I will reposition engine and motor mounts. I have to lift engine if I were to ever need to remove oil pan, currently my Y pipe goes UNDER the lowest part of oilpan. It all looked so fine when I had the truck set on blocks during the build,,even looked ok on the ground until I scraped the oilpan on a bump on some rough road.

Return to The Modified K-KB