Scout 80 Brake Booster?

An "All Scout" forum for those addicts out there.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 am

Scout 80 Brake Booster?

I just brought home a 1961 Scout 80 that has the Warn overdrive and what appears to be a brake booster. I've seen Warn overdrive units before, but I've never seen anything like this on a Scout. It's located under the hood, but not on/with the master cylinder; rather, it's forward in the area of the driver's-side headlight. It has hoses running to and from it. The master cylinder is located on the firewall, where I would expect it to be.

Does anybody know whether this unit is factory-installed, factory experimental, aftermarket, or what? It has me stumped.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 am

Re: Scout 80 Brake Booster?

it is possable that it has a remote vacuum booster. Does the output from the master run to this device before the lines branch off for the wheels?
There were many vacuum boosters that were remote.
I had a Fiat that had 4 wheel disks that had a fender mounted booster. Fairly small as booster go.
Picture is worth 1000 words in this case.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 am

It may be a vacume tank someone has added to improve the action of the wipers when going uphill during a rainstorm. Soup cans, fire extinguishers etc have been used for this. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 pm

My '58 A120 has a Bendix Hydrovac booster. Might be the same unit.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 am

I finally got the pictures of what I think is a Scout 80 power brake unit. I also got the line-setting ticket from WHS, and it does show a power brake unit installed at the factory. Has anybody seen one of these?

Steve
Attachments
Scout Power Brake Unit 001 (Small).jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:25 pm

steve.43 wrote:I finally got the pictures of what I think is a Scout 80 power brake unit. I also got the line-setting ticket from WHS, and it does show a power brake unit installed at the factory. Has anybody seen one of these?

Steve

Yep, thats a hydrovac brake booster. Sounds like you got a rare scout. Hope the body is saveable as the running gear sounds unusal

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:17 pm

I think it's restorable, although it will take some work. it apparently was redone many years ago in a patriotic motif, and I'm tempted to try to save it that way. My wife thinks it's cute, for one thing. I'm attaching a picture.

Steve
1961 Scout 80 in Missouri (Small).png

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 pm

that's wild! never seen a set up like that!

IH would build about whatever you wanted...there was a company that made a three point attachment for the rear so you could use farm equipment!

john

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Yes that is a hydrovac brake booster. If you do any brake work on it, bleed the hydrovac prior to the wheels. Now I'm jelous, I don't have power brakes on mine. Send me an email with the vin number John, curious about the 4X4 prototype on the lineset. I know where the number one scout is at, Phil Coonrod has it. MM

Return to Scout