Finally..

An "All Scout" forum for those addicts out there.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Finally..

... it was time to throw in the towel. The IH virus reared its ugly head again and made me buy another one, this time a 76 Scout II. My first one, as I only have full size IH's stting on the driveway...
Now let's see how this one can screw up my life... :bashhead:

Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Finally..

When an itch starts, its natural to scratch, the good news is it is a popular model judging from the amount of scouts I see on eBay - best of luck with it! - Bob :mrgreen:
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks Bob. Yep, they are fairly common over here in Sweden too, so spares shouldn't pose any big problems. It has been disassembled but will still move under its own power, and all parts are there. And I get a fair amount of new parts too, like new poly bushings, PS hoses and such. Will be a breeze compared to my Travelalls... :whistling2:

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Pictures?
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:56 pm

OhioBoy wrote:Pictures?

Only got three so far... :)
I'll have to resize 'em as they're too big. :)

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:03 pm

When you figure out how to resize your pictures- tell me. I got this iPad so I could take and post pics directly from it, but need to resize and haven't taken the time to figure it out yet.

If you got a good price on that Scout, it could be a good investment. I've seen really nice ones go for more than $20k USD. :t3901; people don't seem to care if they are all hopped up and lifted and such, either.

I think our shabby old trucks are gradually following suit. There was an R series pickup that sold at the Lambrecht auction for $7400. Didn't run and it had parts missing! Something we on here would probably say was worth maybe $2000? Any binder that looks like a good deal we should snap up if we're financially and physically able, because the era of cheap IH trucks is passing.

But then again they must have had an open bar at that auction, they sold wooden yardsticks for $100. :t3717: :t3717:
"How the heck did that happen?"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Paul, In case you weren't aware Irish Mike has the MT-130 parts manual.
https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1/24102820

Parts for Scouts are by far the easiest of all IH's to find. Funny thing that all these years after they stopped making Scouts there are more aftermarket goodies available. Back when I had mine such things were like hens teeth (I did get headers and a lift kit) and Scouts were frowned upon by other off roaders. Now they have a cult following.
I embarrassed a guy with a CJ once...he was stuck in mud,big tires and all while my Scout was stick stock with only Goodyear Tiempo all weather tires. I nosed up to him we hooked up and with the TC in HR I pulled him right out! :p1003:

Surprised other's that were milling around watching too. Image

I use a free image host that will resize them for forums when you upload them. It also gives the choice of 6 types of links to use. For the forum I use BBcode either in "Thumbnail" (click to enlarge) or 'Image" which is normal size.
http://www.servimg.com/?369756
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:09 pm

I'll look into the pics tomorrow, I should have time for that at work...
I didn't pay much for it, less than a $1K and with all the stuff that's coming with it it's totally worth it. I appreciate the link to the MT-130, but I downloaded that one some time ago and it also sits on my web site.
What I know about the Scout is that it runs well, it has a 304 and a 727. Not much rust, just kick panels and one door, but it comes with patch panels. There's some rust in the hard top but it is fixable.

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Paul as you probably already know the biggest problem with the Scout II's is rust. Good news is a lot of the parts like inner rocker panels are available. How bad is your Scout? We did a full rebuild on my sons 74 Scout II when he was learning to drive about 14 years ago. I made some mistakes, like thinking if I filled the rocker panels with foam it would keep the moisture out. No it held the moisture in. OOPS!! What engine and transmission do you have in yours? Mike Miller

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Mike, inner rockers are good, and outer aren't that bad. New rockers are included in the deal, I just have to cut and weld them in. It has a 304 and a 727 auto, perfect for a lazy bum like me...
There's very little rust left to fix, most of what needed welding is done. There's a little at a few places on the windshield frame (I poked around it with a knife), right hand door will be swapped out, then there's some small areas where the windows are seated in the hard top. That's about it.

My plan is to bolt in a rollbar (properly done) then bedline the inside. Summer come, I'll be running topless... :jester:
Winter come, I'll be using my C1200.

Just remembered two things that need to go on the priority list; extend my driveway and put some roofing over it. :bashhead:

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Return to Scout