transfer case stuck

An "All Scout" forum for those addicts out there.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:10 pm

transfer case stuck

Hi there is a guy down the road that is selling a scout 80 but he said the transfer case is stuck in neutral. how hard of a fix is this he is selling it cheap and if its not that hard of a fix i might buy is any ideas????

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Re: transfer case stuck

Someone with more knowledge than I will speak up. However, here is my 1/5 of a Dime. If the vehicle is not rusted out, motor runs, and the trans shifts, and it is close to scrap price, Buy it! That is what I would do. On the Transfer case in neutral, it may be as simple as a "pin" that came out and let it go between two gears. It could be as horrible as trashed gears in it, and you would have to find another one.
Condition of the Scout is key to lots of decisions. Like I said, If close to scrap price, I would buy it, But I have a place that I can store it and strip usable parts to sell IF it is a roach. Take a look at some of the "used" prices on parts.
If you think it is a good deal, and you can probably get your money back out of it, again, if it were me, I would buy it. Generally if you over think it, it will be gone. ALL MY OPINION base only on your description.
Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I've seen more then one, where it was the rear axle or half shaft that was the problem. Easy to tell, if the drive shaft spins, then it isn't the transfer case. Either way, it not going to be a quick sale, so make an offer and sit and wait.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 am

I think Lloyd is on the right track, it could be a broken shift fork or just the set screw that positions it on the rail came loose.
I looked up the TC for a Scout 80 and the only one listed is the TC-144 which is the Dana 18. A widely used TC and parts are available.

Here's links for a couple of Google searches;

http://www.google.com/#output=search&sc ... 38&bih=544

Seems a TC getting stuck in gear or neutral is fairly common...

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q ... 38&bih=544

So,if the price is right and you really want it,buy it.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Return to Scout