Scout 80 windows

An "All Scout" forum for those addicts out there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Scout 80 windows

Last year I had picked up a 64 Scout 80 half cab with just over 24,000 original miles. I had a friend do some body work on it as it had been used to plow snow and had slid off the driveway a few too many times. I still don't have it back together but decided to work on it a little today. I had new window wiper felts from Anything Scout. They did not have the attching clips for the outer wiper and the holes did not match up. I tried to punch some 3/16" holes with a leather punch but there is a metal piece inside the felt wiper and broke my leather punch. I was leary about drilling holes as too many times I have seen a small light piece of strap tin turned into a pretzel in the drill. Good news was they drilled just fine in the drill press. I had picked up some push rivets from Lowes Home Improvement marked for ferd auto interior. They were just slightly larger than the 3/16" or 5mm I was looking for so reamed the holes to the next larger size. I cut one side of the head off with a pair of dykes and pressed them thru the wiper then snapped the wiper onto the door and finished by tapping each rivet with a hammer and punch. The inside door wiper goes on a removable strip and had staples. I used a drimmel with wire size dril bit to drill holes in it then used .020" stainless safety wire to attach the felt to the strip. If it ever warms up, I need to paint the wing vent window frame and install the new window guides and put the door back together.
[imgImage][/img]

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Scout 80 windows

Finally got the half top painted and my son came over to help me set it back on. I had stratened the door hinges and aligned the doors to fit the body lines. With the top on the drivers wing vent leaned fwd too far and that caused the rollup window to set too high at the rear. Adjusting the fwd rollup track didn't help so I shimmed the upper bolt on the wing vent to door attach. That worked! Next I glued the new door seals in place. Had to loosen the door striker as the new seal prevented the door from closing. Next the rollup window has to be down somewhat to close the door then roll up tight and push it into place from outside. I am hoping a few days in the hot sun the new seals will take a set so I can tighten the door latch and the window will roll up correctly against the seal. JMM

Return to Scout