Finally getting started

The workhorse

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Finally getting started

Today I tried heating the star wheel, but got no further movement. More PB Blaster on them all, no more progress. I'll probably call around for a shop willing to work on this old truck tomorrow...:(

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 am

I'm sure you have tried turning them both ways , I always get mixed up with that . Kroil is the penetrating oil that I use .And on Budd wheels there is a slot on the outside edge of the drum that is for a feeler gauge between the drum and the shoe , if you had that maybe you could wedge something in there and pull it out , gain just a little clearance . Trying to understand what may have caused your shoes to bind up , both wheels ? Rust in the drum ? could you get some fluid in there enough to get them turning enough to get the drum off ? I have never worked on Dayton wheels , not sure how they come off.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Well,mm, I did try moving them in both directions, more to break them loose than anything. Part of the manual that cornbinder89 sent me says to move them "away from the axle", and the one YouTube video showed that as well. So my efforts have been all in the direction "away from the axle".

BREAKING NEWS!! I went to pull the truck out of the shop to get to my loader tractor, and the left rear wheel is locked up solid. I can get it to roll in reverse, but I had to drag it out of the barn. Clearly, I have tightened the brakes with all my efforts to date. Hope to get some more shop time tonight to try a different direction.

I concur on the Kroil, we use it at work. I happened to grab a can of PB on sale, so that's what I'm using.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Progress! Today I was able to move both of the (LR) star wheel brake adjusters, the lower I moved "up", from bottom of the slot towards the axle. The top I rotated in the opposite direction (according to the IH manual picture, it appears they are installed in opposite directions). I jacked it up and was able to move rotate the tires as if I was backing up, with almost no resistance. Oddly, I turn them forward, and the brakes grab again. When I drove the truck out of the shop, it definitely felt like less dragging (I used to help with tillage for a farmer named Les Dragging). I did not try to pull the hub and drum off yet.

I think I'll try turning the top wheel the other way when I get a chance to get back to it. Middle Son graduates with his Batchelor's Degree tomorrow. so shop time will be limited.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am

Moving the upper star wheel in the "up" direction made the LR tires spin easily in either direction. I pulled the outer hub nut and the drum slides off. Now, I need to dig the dual cart out of the neighbor's shop and pull the whole assembly out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:39 am

Sounds like things are going your way now!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 pm

fullsizeoutput_2406.jpeg
Looks like I found one of the issues:

fullsizeoutput_2402.jpeg
Removing the drum, I found one of the return springs

fullsizeoutput_240a.jpeg
Here's a shot of the adjuster from the inside, you can see how I galled up the teeth trying to break it loose then turning it the wrong direction.

You can also see the amount of shoe material left, should last my lifetime. I already proved it will lock the tires up!

I removed the upper wheel cylinder, there was a small amount of rust inside from air pockets/moisture, otherwise the bore, cups and pistons look like new. A little steel wool and put it back together. I'll grab some more pics tomorrow. I didn't want to disassemble everything until I knew the pics came out to be able to put it all back together.

Do you know if the anchor block is removable? I'm referring to the caliper-shaped block bolted to the backing plate that houses the adjuster screw. Two bolts from the axle rim, one from behind, but then the other end has a pin going through the backer plate. Friction fit, but does not want to come out...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:02 am

Makes sense now the wheels dragging in 1 direction now with the broken spring , Nice job ,keep us posted .

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 pm

I got a bunch more done Tuesday night, here's some evidence:

fullsizeoutput_240d.jpeg
Before

fullsizeoutput_240c.jpeg
After

fullsizeoutput_240b.jpeg
All the parts

fullsizeoutput_240e.jpeg
Prior alignment issue

fullsizeoutput_240f.jpeg
The stripped axle. Broke the brake line from the Banjo fitting to the lower cylinder

fullsizeoutput_2410.jpeg
Backing plate removed, easy for cleaning and reinstall tomorrow.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the pics! It's nice to be able to follow along.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar