Axle shaft definitions

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Axle shaft definitions

Hi,

In looking over my parts books I come across a lot of times when two different axles with corresponding different parts are listed for the same axle housing. For example, under axle shaft oil seal I find 473084C1 as the seal to use for a pre-automated axle shaft, and seal 593119C91 as the seal to use for an automated axle shaft. This is just one example where different parts are called out for depending on if it's an automated or pre-automated axle shaft. I could always just replace the seal with what was there, but after 40 years of people just doing what's necessary to get it by, I've found a lot of missing and just wrong parts. I'd like to rebuild this front drive axle assembly properly and not depend on what others before me may have done.

I've searched and come up with nothing. Can anyone explain the difference between an automated and pre-automated axle shaft?

Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Axle shaft definitions

Never heard of that, In the early 80's or there about's axle mfg standardized bearing, seals, and bearing spacing. Axles were referred to as "common wheel end" and "pre common wheel end" axles. This applied to heavy truck axles, so hubs and seals could be the same regardless if the axle was made by Rockwell, Spicer, Dana (Eaton) or IHC.
For example, I can use the same hub on my Rockwell and IHC axle, both take the same seal. The only difference between the hubs on my IHC's and Marmon, is the axle studs, same seals and bearings.
Prior to "common wheel end" axles every hub end could be different.
Never heard of "Automated" axles, but it could be referring to what I know as "common wheel end"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon May 28, 2018 8:41 pm

I think if you peruse the IPL of the axle assembly you are working on, it will differentiate between the two axles.
The Pre-automated axle will have 16 splines and the Automated axle will have 36 splines, for example.
The axle shaft diameters may also be a different size, ie. the automated axle will have a larger shaft diameter.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 pm

1975IH200 wrote:I think if you peruse the IPL of the axle assembly you are working on, it will differentiate between the two axles.
The Pre-automated axle will have 16 splines and the Automated axle will have 36 splines, for example.
The axle shaft diameters may also be a different size, ie. the automated axle will have a larger shaft diameter.

Thank you both for a reply, but please excuse my ignorance ... what does IPL stand for? I'm not a professional mechanic and there is no line set ticket for this axle. And I have no idea what this front drive axle came out of originally. But from the books, it does appear the FA-30 has 16 splines.
So, if necessary, with different diff side gears will a 16 spline non-automated axle shaft with a rzeppa joint interchange with an automated axle shaft with a cardan u-joint?
Thank you.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 am

IPL = Illustrated Parts List
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Sounds very much like the "common wheel end" that heavy truck parts manual call out. Never heard the Automated axle nomenclature before. On the common wheel end stuff they also std the spline and shaft diameter.
That is when they went from course deep splines to fine shallow.

Return to Loadstar