U Bolts 1700 Loadstar

The workhorse

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

U Bolts 1700 Loadstar

Hey gang. I have a broken Ubolt on my rear axle that needs replacing.

Its actually square at the top. As a result my axle is now sliding on the leaf springs.

Any idea where I can a replacement. From what I have gathered the part number is 53 398 R21 or 53 399 R21

Thanks for your help

Craig in North Idaho

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 am

Re: U Bolts 1700 Loadstar

by the way, Idaho Salvage is up your way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Don't buy used U bolts, they are single use only item. Mutual wheel, Inland truck part or any big truck parts house should be able to supply with new. There are several types of top bends, from U to squared off corners.
Might find what you are looking for here:
https://www.anythingtruck.com/category/ ... disp_order
Midway truck parts in the Chicago area used to bend them while you wait, just bring them one to copy.
Always replace U bolts and nuts/hardware together.
Also, if the axle is sliding around then the locating "pegs" have been knocked off the axle housing. You can get by without them if you make sure the axle is located correctly before tightening the U bolts. You'll need to measure carefully to make sure the axle is centered and aligned with the frame. The locating pegs do all this for you automatically, but if they are missing than you have to do it manually. The pegs fit into recesses in the spring perch just like to bolt in the center of the spring locates the spring on the perch.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks for your comments Mr. Cornbinder. Do you think its possible to make my own "Pegs" with an 8 grade bolt and placed at the point where the original pegs were located?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 am

The pegs are more like 3/4" slugs from a slug punch. You could, if you can place them in the same place, but welding should be done with caution on axle housings. You want to use as little weld and heat as possible to prevent a stress riser. The originals are welded with a big spot welder I think, clamped in position and a measured large current passed thru them.
They aren't ment to hold things in position when the truck is in use, only to locate the springs on the housing until the U bolts are tight, so a light spot weld is enough, and if the truck is used with loose U bolts, it doesn't take much to knock them loose.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 am

Got, thanks for the explanation.

Return to Loadstar