Loadstar parts

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 am

Loadstar parts

Dear Members
For our '66 1600 Loadstar 4x4 firetruck , I need to replace the drag link and the tie-rod assembly (I think it's named like that. In Belgium we call it "long steering bar")
On the internet I"ve only find the parts for the light-duty and pick-up trucks. So I will be deep graditude if somebody can help my to find links or adresses from Loadstar-parts sellers.
Your help is highly appriciated!
Chris
some pics, I hope it's working posting.php?mode=post&f=26#
image hosting temporary]
https://ibb.co/f5zURa
https://ibb.co/cKF3ma
https://ibb.co/eRodKv

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 am

Re: Loadstar parts

Was this vehicle imported from the US or Canada? I would so drive that around If I had it!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 pm

lbesq wrote:Was this vehicle imported from the US or Canada? I would so drive that around If I had it!

I am verry sorry but I dont know. It was imported by a Belgium firetruck company. Onfortunately, this company does not exist anymore. Can you recognize the country in the VIN number (623534)?
I do know that in this version (short frame), there are only 3 Loadstars delivered in Belgium.
recently, we did an engine overhaul and now its running great. And yes, it is a real pleasure to drive it!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 pm

If it was made in the US, You might find the serial number listed, they are sorted by year/model and such on the wisconsin historical society web page under the McCormik collection. As that is a left hand drive, my guess is either US or Canada. Hopefully someone else will pick up on this thread.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

As I am also new to the Loadstar, I cannot offer any answers to your questions, but I also would like to say how neat that rig is! Beautiful and well kept. Would be a great size for a family SUV!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm

If the balls are not worn badly on the drag-link, a simple rebuild with new sockets and springs are all that is needed.
The tie rod (what we call the long piece) is going to be difficult. The one end that is replaceable should be obtainable but the one end that is part of the long bar is going to be hard to find, as it is only used on 4x4's of that size and weight.
The short end should be available by thread and taper measurements. At this point I can't even guess at part numbers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi,
IF your front axle assembly is the same as my '64 1600 Loadstar 4x4, then the tie rod (your second picture) might be easily available as the tie rod and knuckle assemblies are Dana 70, per Dana interchange part numbers, including the rubber and felt wiper seals. But everything else, including axles, spindles, hubs, gears etc are International only. At least that is what I found to be true on my truck. (Some old 1600 Loadstars use all Dana 70 axle assemblies).

Years ago I ordered Dana 70 axle parts from my local Napa Auto parts store, including the short and long parts of the tie rod, #57 and #62. But I don't know if Napa Auto can still order Dana/Spicer truck parts.

As for the drag link (your first picture) your truck uses the same as mine, with manual steering. If I was further along in rebuilding my truck I'd just give you mine as I intend to convert my truck to power steering which uses a different pitman arm and drag link.
If the drag link is no longer available, there are at least two companies that will build custom drag links and tie rods. I don't recall the names of the companies, but a google search should help find them. One of them I was recently told about by the people at Summit Racing.

Below is a picture of my axle and the parts that make it.
I hope this helps a little.

Wow, Nice truck you have there !

pdf parts file 1 of 2:
http://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/attach ... 1405385980
pdf parts file 2 of 2:
http://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/attach ... 1405385980

PJ3

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm

An internet search shows new parts maybe available. Look up the part numbers by going to "Other Sites" Gangster International from this websites Home page. Look for parts manual "MT-127 Loadstar Parts Manual". Find the part number and do an internet search, no spaces between numbers and letters. Several hits on companies that sell surplus parts. Note that International part numbers may have a revision that will work for an earlier revision. For example xxxxxxR91 is an assembly revision 1 xxxxxxR92 is an assembly revision 2 for the same part.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 pm

He Guys
Thanks a lot for the compliments and the support! If the ocean wasn't between us, I came to you to buy you a beer :o)
Today I still haven't found the needed part yet, but with the help I received I'm in the right direction.
I'm also very interested in the rebuilding of your Loadstar, Overdrive Steve. So it should be great to find some info and pics here on the forum. Right now I'm going to try to find out from which country our Loadstar is imported.
Thank you all Guys!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:51 am

Hi,
Here is one company that claims to have millions of parts in stock, and manufactures thousands of different parts. But more importantly they say they will custom build any tie rod, drag link or suspension part you need, even if its only one.

http://rareparts.com/custom-part

I haven't used them, but if I can't find the correct drag link when I convert my 4x4 Loadstar truck to power steering, I will be contacting them. In looking over some of their past projects, I found their web site and manufacturing capabilities interesting.

Good luck.

Return to Loadstar