Main Shaft Transmission Nut

The workhorse

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Main Shaft Transmission Nut

Well just as I thought things were coming around for me ( fixed the transmission broken speed shift fork) a new problem has now created itself. :biggrowl:

As I was plowing snow today I began to smell some oil burning and stopped to see where it might be coming from. I thought perhaps the top plate gasket on the transmission I recently installed might be the culprit. It was not. Instead oil was dripping, pretty steadily from the end of the universal joint where the drive line ties into the yoke that is bolted to the main shaft on the transmission.

I noticed the nut was missing that holds the yoke on and I was able to slide the drive line in and out about a 1/2" and the oil was coming out through this area. I looked more like it was coming out of where the threaded part of the shaft goes through the yoke.

So I said well that is interesting and how long has that nut been gone and then realized the nut had not backed off the shaft but the end of the shaft where the nut screws on broke off cleanly leaving about an inch of thread remaining on the shaft.

Perhaps I can get another nut and put in over the remaining shaft but I dont know what size thread it is. The part book I have says it is a 19 853 R1, which probably goes on a lot of trucks and tractors. Does anybody know the size?

Also I have an older transmission, not sure the year but its attached to a V340 and its a 4 speed . On the top plate the number T98-148 is cast into it. It still has the yoke and nut. The yoke is much smaller but the nut looks like it might be the right diameter for my loadstar. Its a castle nut with a cotter pin so if this nut does fit I wont have the ability to use a cotter pin because that part of the shaft was sheared off. So I was thinking of tack welding it on the end to hold it in place. If that works how tight should the nut be?

Do you tighten it up and then back of on castle like that when you are working on vintage car brakes?

So, can anyone help me out with the nut issue and can anyone help identify the transmission I might have and the years its from.

Thanks for your help. Still freezing in North Idaho. Craig

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Main Shaft Transmission Nut

Sorry for your bad luck. I am afraid you are going to be looking for a new main shaft or another trans.

Return to Loadstar