Transmission Stuck in First Gear

The workhorse

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Re: Transmission Stuck in First Gear

Well I met up with a certified welder today to see about the possibility of welding the dog ear back onto the fork. He was not to optimistic being that the part is cast iron. He said it really depends on how much steel in in this piece. I will know in a few days if it was successful.

I do have a MT127 parts manual, which covers 1970 and up Loadstars. Mine is a 1976. I have looked at the five speed transmission diagram and if I am looking at it correctly the fork that broke controlled the 4th and 5th gear.

Prior to taking the top cover off I had suspected the fork controlling the 1st and reverse gears to be the culprit. Only because I was shifting out of first and reverse frequently as I plowed snow.

The part number reference for this 4th and 5th gear fork is 238 573 R2. Would anyone on this site be able to verify that. The number stamped on the actual damaged fork is 4402 81 C1 and the letters LSI are next to it.

The reason I am asking is I will begin a search for a replacement fork.

One other question I have is about parts exchanges. I know from reading other comments on this site that IH moved from the T-36 transmission to the T496 transmission in 194-75. Would the forks on the t-36 fit the T496?

Thanks for your help and if you know of any wrecking yards or supply houses that might be an assistance to me I would appreciate the names as well . My transmission is a 1976 T496.

Thanks for your time and interest in my problem. Craig :P

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 am

Re: Transmission Stuck in First Gear

Well today finally warmed up to 25 after two weeks of single digit temperatures. I took the time to put the top plate of the transmission back on having had the broken dog ear on one of the forks repaired. With my torpedo heater going underneath the truck the cab became warm enough to work on without gloves. :)

After putting it back together, with no left over parts, it shifts fine one again. Maybe a little smoother then before.

Hope this fix gets me through winter. Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice. :) :)
Previous

Return to Loadstar