Dump Cylinder Fill

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Dump Cylinder Fill

The hydraulic cylinder on my 1850 dump truck needs to be rebuilt. I have also replaced the dump pump and in the process the cylinder was emptied of fluid. This truck uses a cylinder that has the reservoir built into the cylinder. Does anyone know how to fill the cylinder with new fluid?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Re: Dump Cylinder Fill

On every reservoir/ cylinder I've ever encountered there's a fill plug somewhere ON the cylinder. It can look...unspecial, unimportant yet be what you want.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Thank you monsonmotors: I will have to give it a good cleaning and looking over, right now its in the truck covered with years of oil and sand.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Found it! Yes it was on top, not to hard to find with a drop light. Unfortunately I had to raise the dump body with a floor jack and 4x4s. I blocked between the body and the frame as I went, it was kind of nerve wracking, but I tested it and the blocks between the frame and dump body held. I added all the oil that came out of it, three gallons. let the body back down and tested my new pump, nothing! Jacked the body back up added a least another gallon and a half until the cylinder could hold no more. Let the body back down, re tested, still nothing! After a lot of standing around pondering the situation my son and I figured we had to bleed the pump. Re tested and she went up, but it wouldn't come back down. We figured out how to get her to come down, looks like we need to add a 2nd lever. My old pump just had up and down, but the new pump has natural, up, down positions. I am not using any air, or electric solenoids, just levers. The pump is a Metaris 101 which is the same as a Permco or a Parker anyone have experiance using this kind of pump and is it normal to use two levers for operation?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am

I think I have this figured out, I watched a video by Permco explaining the features of their pumps and it looks like I might be pulling and pushing the spool from the wrong end. I went by my old pump, now I might have to refab all my pump linkage. ugh!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Post some pictures! I have a KB5 side dump.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

I think the KB5 is a much better looking truck than the Loadstar. I am working on a video showing the complete replacement of the Dump Pump, I should have it finished soon but it will probably have two or more parts. Sure am learning a lot along the way, I don't have any experience with dump trucks, but this old girl is changing all that LOL.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:16 pm

Hydraulics like lots of clean oil. Quality filters are important to the longevity of the pump. If the pump is a piston type, the oil is the seal between the pistons and the bores. Any bore or piston scratches will make the the pump fail. Some other pumps, like the vane style in many power steering system are contamination resistant for a while then the noise starts.
Saginaw make good steering pumps. I have had the most trouble with the Ford pumps. I liked to modify the Ford pump with an ORB fitting directly to the intake port. The leaking stopped and the howl stopped.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 am

Nikkinutshop: The pump I am using is a gear type pump, with the fluid reservoir within the cylinder. It looks to me like this truck never had a filter. I think it would be a good idea to add one, but I have no idea where to put it. My assumption would be on the return line, but since this is only a two line system I would think the filter would restrict flow and could possibly make the dump bodies decent very slow. But thats just my uneducated guess. Hopefully I will have some video of the project up soon.

Return to Loadstar