1850 Repower

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:43 am

Re: 1850 Repower

Thanks Mick: If I place the fan in the same spot where it is now on the 555 that puts the rear of the head flush with the inside of the dash, not that I have much wiggle room, maybe on inch. Which means I would have to fabricate a new doghouse. Not sure yet where the through out bearing would place the clutch linkage. An automatic transmission might be the better choice here, depending on it's size. Anybody have any experience running these engines with an auto? How much power loss is there between an auto and a manual and is the difference worth the extra work and fabrication required to install the manual?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 pm

We ran an auto trans pulling a three car trailer. It was alright on the flats, but was real slow on the hills, of course this was in a
"box" truck with out the box and a trailer that weighs almost 9,000 lbs and at least 21,000 lbs of vehicles on it. Loved not having to shift though. This was also going up and down Highway 95 in Idaho. It has some pretty good 7% grade hills on it. Also ran a 6 speed manual truck with the same types of loads. It did do a little better on the hills. Unless you are going to load down your truck with that kind of weight, the auto should be fine. Just my uneducated opinion.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you lbesq: Great to know.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Modern automatic transmissions after the C6, TH400 and 727 all have locking torque converters. The lock in the torque converter removes the TC slip and one of the major heat sources. The Automatic becomes a direct drive like a standard with the lockup.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:13 pm

I think he would be useing a Allison at the size and weight he is moveing. Do they have TC lock-up?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Google is his best friend, for that information. I have been retired for well over 12 years and I have forgotten most of this stuff.
For no good reason other than I wanted to have one last standard transmission, I bought an NVG4500 for my final truck project. I will be using a hydraulic clutch linkage. Easy stuff.
The NVG5600 is a better standard transmission choice for the heavy haul.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Some Allisons have locking converters, some don't. The newer designs tend to. The AT545 that came with my DTA360 didn't. I might have kept it if it had one.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 pm

I used to buy AT545 Allisons at truck wreckers then freshen them up. I got tired of the extra at home work and dealing with people was never "my thing". Overtime at work paid better. I loaded up my R120 with all of the AT545 bits and pieces and tools then sold the lot to a local transmission shop. This included a transmission stand that resembles and engine stand. The differences were, the transmission stand had a plate welded to the quill. The plate was drilled to fit the PTO opening on an Allison. the other end of the quill had/has a modified automatic slack adjuster that turned the quill with a 21/1 ratio after a hand crank. The gearing inside the slack adjuster held the quill in place whenever the cranking stopped.
There are more than a few Allison AT545 assembly tools. I borrowed a set and machined copies for myself. Those were the good old days. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Transmission
The last Allisons I am familiar with are the B400 and B500. Both of these had hydraulic braking. These "B" transmissions are fantastic pieces of machinery.
I have repurposed several Allison retarder pistons for cutting oil cups. A ceramic magnet epoxied to the bottom holds the piston in place. I cannot find a picture, but the top of the piston/cup has a lid sealed to the cup with a Viton "O" ring and held in place with two 4-40 machine screws..
Attachments
Allison NO DRIP OILER 3.jpg
NO DRIP OILER
Allison NO DRIP OIL CONTAINER.jpg
NO LEAK
CERAMIC MAGNET ON ALLISON RETARDER PISTON.jpg
Allison retarder piston

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Well guys, it's getting cold outside here in Vermont and it looks like my time on the Loadstar is coming to a close. I have pretty much settled on the DT466, transmission still to be determined. I have been picking away at all the little projects this truck needed during this time. But I kind of wanted to bounce one more idea off everybody before I commit and buy an engine. Would it be totally ridiculous to put the original diesel engine back into this truck? I think I would be looking at the DV-436B or the 550B, but I am not sure. I would have to find one and rebuild it, would it be worth it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:24 am

I would think you would have more money in rebuilding any of those other engines than you could buy a good used DT466 for. There are a lot of 466s out there. If you don't want to mod the firewall, get a 9 liter, the later version of the DV550. Or better yet a T444E. The 466 will still last longer and have more torque than any of the others I've mentioned.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar