Spin-on oil filter conversion

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:26 am

Re: Spin-on oil filter conversion

Scottso wrote:Nice you found one,it looks to be the angled one used in the LL/Scouts? If so the correct filter is LF551A in Fleetguard.

I musta forgot about the dipstick question(?) No,not all SV8's used the same one,there are a few depending on the oil pan used. The PN should be stamped on yours. If not they're found under crankcase and related parts in the manuals.
Since yours is a 4x4 it's best to check the book and be sure if it's not stamped.
In the last Lstar book (MT-132) the stick is the same but the pan is different for 4WD.
151728R21 Gauge,oil level assy.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=15 ... ge&start=0

Can't even begin to guess how many we sold of that one.

Hi, and thank you.
Actually the oil filter adapter points straight down. It's just the camera at an angle.
My book lists 151728R11 for 304, 345 and 392 engines and 1600 and 1700 4x4 models. No 151728R21's listed at all. Probably an upgraded part?
I'm sure they are the same for 4x4's and non 4x4 trucks as the side of the pan where it sticks into is the same, only the other side of the pan is indented to clear the axle pumpkin. Is either dip stick better built or stronger than the other one? The link you provided has the ...R21 and I found a place that has a ...R11 dip stick.
I'll check to see if the p/n is stamped on it this weekend. The handle is broke on mine.
Thanks.
Steve
BTW I have some questions on the parking brakes - should I start another thread for that, or just add it to this thread? I don't want to hog too much of the forum with my questions.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 am

Steve, start another thread, not real concerned about "hogging" the forum, It is easier to find if in another thread and easier for someone to find if looking for that same issue.

My Thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 pm

R11 or 21 it doesn't matter,they're the same. It's the #'s before the letter that truly matter.

OK,the straight down filter is the MD truck version and uses a different filter than what I posted recently. LF690 Fleetguard. To be positive measure the stud diameter and compare it to each filter,which can be found on the filter mfr. sites Like WIX etc.

I thought you had a "build thread" for this thing? That's the best way to keep track of everything IMO. I'm getting really tired of searching thru a pile of threads especially when it's for the same truck.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Scottso wrote:R11 or 21 it doesn't matter,they're the same. It's the #'s before the letter that truly matter.

OK,the straight down filter is the MD truck version and uses a different filter than what I posted recently. LF690 Fleetguard. To be positive measure the stud diameter and compare it to each filter,which can be found on the filter mfr. sites Like WIX etc.

I thought you had a "build thread" for this thing? That's the best way to keep track of everything IMO. I'm getting really tired of searching thru a pile of threads especially when it's for the same truck.

Actually I've been thinking about a build thread for that very reason. - just to keep everything pertaining to the truck organized and for easy reference. And it will give me a place to put a few before and after photos to document the build.
But now my question is, where in this forum is the proper place for it? Should I just put it here in the Loadstar section? I know I like seeing other's rigs, restored or rusty, running or not, Scouts to Semi's, doesn't matter, but I do not see a Build-Off subforum under Loadstar.

As a follow-up, I purchased the dip stick, but not through that light line dealer. Ritchies Implements had it for half the price. I also got a couple other minor parts from him at the same time. I've found his prices for old, non-mechanical items like this, and the air cleaner assembly, and headlight buckets to be very reasonable. But for mechanical repair items, such as a new engine drain plug ($17.50) or steering box parts, to be way over priced and above most other parts dealers. Perhaps he keeps things at the last published retail price. My NOS dual headlight buckets from him for my '62 Travelette, complete with headlights, trim rings, etc were about the same price as the local auto parts store wanted for just the two headlights alone.
Yeah, a build thread would be a good place to put my ramblings.
Thanks.
Steve
Last edited by overdriveSteve on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Since this is your Loadstar,right here in this section would be the place for a build thread. There's already a couple but,as they aren't abundant there's really no need for a special/separate section like the K/KB & L,R,S sections.
Lloyd can probably merge your other threads into one as well,so what's already posted can be in the same thread.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Scottso wrote:Since this is your Loadstar,right here in this section would be the place for a build thread. There's already a couple but,as they aren't abundant there's really no need for a special/separate section like the K/KB & L,R,S sections.
Lloyd can probably merge your other threads into one as well,so what's already posted can be in the same thread.

Thanks.
A day or so ago I sent you a Happy Birthday pm. Did you get it? I don't think the messages section is working in this forum, or I just didn't do it right.
Anyway, Happy Birthday.
Steve

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 am

Give me just a bit and a Buildoff form will be there, I have created it but not sure why it does not show up when you look at the forum titles like the others. I will ask Jim to see what I did not do right.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:06 pm

WHY WHY WHY???? Does this section need such a thing??? There are only 2 or 3 Loadstars getting extensive work done and SCloadstar is the only other one with a build thread. It's just plain STUPID and makes no sense whatsoever,there's no logical reason for it.
But,just like the TA section (yea,that's got a lot in it :roll: ) my opinion will be shunned,same as my useful suggestions. It's just another one of the reason's I may end my participation.

Steve,thanks for the thought, I didn't get the PM. Yep,another year older,another year shot in the a$$.
Previous

Return to Loadstar