Loadstar Distributor

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 am

Loadstar Distributor

Seems to me I discussed this subject somewhere, maybe here or another forum. I want to order a new set of points and condensor for my 71 Loadstar 1600 with the 304 V8. But apparently I need to know what brand distributor I have. I don't know and can't find any name on this distributor. I don't really want to remove the distributor to find out what it is. Where is this "name tag" located? All I can see on this one is a tag saying "Autoline Products Ltd". Re manufactured in Canada, number D-196.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Loadstar Distributor

is there any reason why you could not just take them into the store to match up? Points are Points and capacitor needs to be the same as long as it fits in the space and does not bind anything up. Those are my uneducated thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

That's a HOLLEY 1510 with the "curved" point set,meaning the base plate shape. Holley was the only dist. used for your model year btw.

Here's pn's that can be crossed anywhere to any brand.
Tune up parts Standrad Motor Parts (SMP)

Cap
IH 445

Condenser
IH 121

Rotor
IH 318

Spark plugs
RJ-6 Champion
303 Autolite
RJ-10Y Champion (light line trucks)

Wire set
Pre-made
96702 AutoLite
86703 AutoLite Pro-fit

NAPA
MPW 2810 Milage plus
BEL 700166 Beldin

Standard Motor Products
27830 Pro
7830 std.

I can't really see it well but the cam lobes look to be a little on the worn side(?). If that's true consider putting an IGNITOR kit in and have electronic ignition. It goes right on where the points etc. are and the trigger wheel just slips over the cam,uses the stock cap and rotor plus the stock coil works just fine with it as well. The nice thing about the Ignitor is,that if it ever fails you can just remove it and put the points back in. So keep them,the condenser and lead wire "just in case".

PN is 1481

Here's an excellent thread on distributors by a reputable/knowledgeable author. Probably more info than you'll ever need or want.
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/ig ... ation.html

In the 2nd pic,you can clearly see where the pn is on the left unit,Holley's are stamped,not tagged.
Notice he uses Ignitors in all his rebuilt units?

More info for the Ignitor;
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:10 am

Scott, thanks for all that good information on theIH distributors. Seems mine is a Holley. I found a used set in my "inventory" that were in a 72 Scout II and they appear to be the same as whats in the Loadstar. Echlin 755 I believe was the number. Yes, my wear block is getting worn down some which is why I am shopping for new points. If not to install, at least to have on hand if it suddenly drops off in performance. I can't even remember how many years it has been since I put a set of points in this dist. so I think I will stick with points type rather than electronic. If the next set lasts as long as this one I might not need another. I will likely check with my usual Napa supplier.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Not "seems" to be a Holley Ralph,it is a Holley. The points you found are the same as any other Holley with the "curved" points used in the 4cyl. & SV8's.

On a whim I checked the cam pn and the bushings for it and to my surprise they appear to be obtainable. :o So there's another option for that worn part,although I'd choose the Ignitor myself. I totally rebuilt one of these dizzys once and it was easy. To change the cam it can be left on the engine even,one small clip holds it to the shaft.
Not trying to convince you on an Ignitor,just pointing out the advantages. I'm sure you know how cantankerous the SV8's can be to start when it's damp or cold outside? Ignitors pretty much eliminate that,plus you never have to change points or re-gap them again.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Scottso wrote:Not trying to convince you on an Ignitor,just pointing out the advantages. I'm sure you know how cantankerous the SV8's can be to start when it's damp or cold outside? Ignitors pretty much eliminate that,plus you never have to change points or re-gap them again.

I've never considered this 304 to be a hard starter. If it takes a little extra cranking after sitting for weeks it is likely due to the fuel draining out of the Holley carb. Even in cold weather it starts well. If its really cold I will plug in the block heater and it has never failed me. For the few miles I put on this truck now I don't think I will be going electronic ignition on it. Points have given me good performance and long life.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:17 pm

one thing about the old point ign system... after 80 years I still have no problem finding point sets for my '42... will the pertonix or other conversions still be available in 10,20,30 years? I also don't like "everything under the cap". high voltage and semi conductors are not a good mix, generally. If I were going to change, I would install a reluctor (trigger wheel) if the OEM will fit the Holley, or adapt one from either a Ford or Chry V8 to the Holley and place the ign box outside the dist. I guess I am just not that industrious, as I have kept points in my old stuff, I have a few extra dist I could play around with until I get it right, then put it on my tach-drive dist.
I had one 392 that ran like crap,both backfireing and afterfireing! the bushing were so worn in the dist that when the vac advance pulled in the points ceased to open!, the engine lossed power the vac advance relaxed and would fire again. Quick rebuild and it ran great!

Return to Loadstar