Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Front drive axle lubrication questions

Hi,

I have some general questions on the way my front axle is lubricated. It's a IH FA-58 front drive axle in my Loadstar 1600 4x4. The first two pictures are of the axle itself, although not very good ones. But what I'm really referring to is the second pdf file under the pictures that shows the axle's components. I've looked very carefully but I just don't see any axle seals.

The only seals I see are the pinion gear seals, numbers 38 and 42 in the picture, and the knuckle seal and felt wiper, picture numbers 59 and 58.

What keeps the ring & pinion oil in the r & p area from sloshing through the axle tubes, and into and through the steering knuckles and into and through the wheel bearing spindle? Or is it supposed to do that? All I see are the bushings # 12 but they are just brass bushings to hold the axle in alignment, not oil seals. And as I recall those bushings are not a very close tolerance fit and oil could easily seep through them. If you can enlighten me on this axle lube mystery, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

P.S. per the parts book, only the tie rod and knuckle assemblies are Dana 70, everything else, including the wheel spindles are IH only.

MT-112 02-page 1 pdf
MT-112 02-page 8 pdf
MT-112 02-page 9 pdf