"Big Red" is at the top of the list again!!!

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: "Big Red" is at the top of the list again!!!

Well all may not be lost...
I looked in the MT 132 and checked a bit,I can find PN's with the brake size & rear axle since you have manual adjusters.
On the chance going with a 1700 and what was most common I went with 15x6 brakes. Each support has a different PN (upper right,lower right etc.). Goggled the #'s and only one hit. On the brighter side I found the Euclid hydraulic catalog and found all 4 listed,Googled them and it appears you may be able to find them that way. (also,Euclid notes theirs come with a screw/nut similar to what I mentioned).

Just post the needed info and I'll post what I have/find.

One thing I forgot...the star wheel only has small tangs on the ID that ride in slots on the adjuster screw,you don't want to break them off either. If you haven't tried it yet,where the adj. screw goes into the support you could try giving it some good smacks,maybe that will help free them.the threads are pretty course and I don't recall them having a "tight tolerance" so rapping that way could be the thing.
Like I mentioned,the supports look stronger than they are,they're cast alloy of some kind. Be very careful around the end where the anchor pin goes,that piece around the "big hole" is the weakest part.

When you get it all ready to reassemble use liberal amounts of anti-seize.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Well after working with all kind of different things.....heat it, beat it, punch it, gouge it, chisel it, spit at it!....and every monkey oil that's ever been made.....I decided too try drilling it out!. Worked like a charm and the threaded insert that was stuck was actually very soft material!. I did use a really good drill bit but it cut out of there clean as could be and I didnt even bump one of the original threads!. Got finished drilling and took a small punch and started folding the edge of the existing stud inward and she came right out of there. Then I took a standard 5/8" bolt and it threaded right thru the existing threads slick as a ribbon! The way these are made....there are two slots on both sides of the stud......the cogged washer that turns and adjust it has two ears on the inside....as it turns the stud in the threads, those ears slide along the slots. These slots were the reason everything was stuck!....they filled full of junk over the years and rusted in place.....however.....using the smaller drill bit and centering it perfect as possible drilled the whole out into those slots....so when I took the bit out, there were two pieces of threaded insert left with a small gap between each piece.
This made it very easy too get the old insert out!.
Now all I have too do is find the new adjusters and we're back in business!.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Glad you got them out,musta been the spit! LOL

As I mentioned before,the adjuster screw,wheel & clicker are still available. Just need the brake size (15 or 16") to give you the right PN's.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Alright....2nd one is out same way.....just got too take my time and center things up the right way!. One backplate is ready too go....now too get the other two out of the other side!.

I measured the other side as its still together.....the outisde of the shoes with the drum off measures 15-3/16" in diameter and the width of the shoes are 6"!. I'm assuming by this they are 15X6!.

Original threads are still perfect but I'm still gonna chase them out with a 5/8" tap just too clean em up real good!.

I probably wouldnt have this problem if the truck wouldnt have sat for 20 years before I aquired it and its been 5 years ago I guess since I bought it......so I can expect a few things stuck here and there!.

Brakes I wont skimp on though.....everything will be new or rebuilt and all new lines on everything before she hits the road!. Emergency brake is in A-1 shape already......someone must have relined it before I got it....still looks new!.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm researching right now before chasing the threads to make sure they are 5/8" standard. A 5/8" bolt will thread into the hole but gets a little tight about 3/4" in.....might just be where the threads are needing cleaned up a bit and that was with my fingers....I didnt put a wrench too them yet till I make sure they arent metric!.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 am

FYI, There are 2 supports with left hand thread, the adj.screws have different PN's 131019R1 Left side / 131020R1 Right side.

Here's some aftermarket PN's
Raybestos;
H1860 Screw Left
H1861 Screw Right
H3520 Adj. Kit contains 2 adj. wheels,2 clickers + screws & 2 adj. hole plugs.

H9200 Combi Kit,shoe hold down,does both sides,includes return springs.

Wagner;
H1607 Screw Left
H1606 Screw Right
H2912 Adj. Kit contains 2 adj. wheels,2 clickers + screws & 2 adj. hole plugs.

H7171 Combi Kit,shoe hold down,does both sides,includes return springs.

Euclid;
E4147 Adj kit LEFT
E4148 Adj kit RIGHT
Above include adj screws,wheels,clickers w/screws,adj hole plugs.

E4067 Screw Left
E4068 Screw Right
E4050 Adj wheel

E4144 Combi Kit,show hold down <does ONE side>.

The adj. screws may come with a "ring" on the outer end which is removed with manual adjust brakes.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Got the adjusters out and all cleaned up. The back plates are painted black and short of ordering the necessary parts for the adjusters, the rear is almost ready too go back together and then its black paint time for the whole chassis!. Everything is coming along nicely now!.
I got the dash painted and the pedestal for the seat is being welded back in now.....should be able too finish up the inside within a couple weeks!.
The new seat is ready and waiting, all I have too do is get the visors and headliner done and soon we'll be ready too shoot some new read paint!.

Like I said before...this isnt a full restoration....I just want everything mechanically sound and working as it should and new paint on everything!. Just a good refurbish!.

I'm getting anxious too take her out on a road trip!.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Howdy fellers....
Just climbed out from under the truck too find out I've been under there for a little over a year now!. No wonder I was gettin hungry!.
Here's the update:
Motor is all cleaned up now and running properly.
Rear brakes are all rebuilt.
Interior is all fitted up and although I havent installed the seat yet....we're getting close.
All the gauges are working correctly.
Entire frame has been cleaned, derusted, and coated with Por-15. Still have too shoot the automotive black over it all once the whole frame and both axles are complete.
Lots of little goodies have been reworked around the truck and things are progressing slowly but surely.

Still havent decided on the bed combo yet. Probably end up with the original flatbed going back on it for a while!. Might opt for a rollback later too make the truck more useable but not sure yet!

I'll get some current pics. soon!.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Does anyone know of a source for a complete heater for the truck?....my old box like most is rusted completely away. Thanks.

Few other things I'm working on finding right now:
Clutch rod. the one going down too the side of the bell housing. Mine has been broken at some point and poorly welded back. I can fix this but figured another one that is still in good shape would be easier!
Running boards....both sides! I can build a set, but would rather buy a set if they are still solid.
Original type air horns with in cab hardware. The compressor wont matter or the lines too plumb them with!. But I would like too add a set of double horns too the roof.
Rubber boot for tunnel cover for shifter.
Roof mount original marker lights....mine are pitted and corroded a little. If I could find better ones, I would like too replace the ones I have.

That's enough for now.......thanks guys!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Is that heater like the ones that were in the L's?
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar