"Big Red" is at the top of the list again!!!

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Re: "Big Red" is at the top of the list again!!!

Got the engine up and running today...still have some issues. One is with the factory heat riser that was riveted into the intake manifold.....rotted away. So I cleaned it all off and of course the two rivets were broken off at the intake so I'll have too drill those out. Where can I get a replacement riser?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Update:
Got the carb overflowing problem fixed and ran the truck a while today......exhaust gases were blowing out from under the heat riser which was severely rotted so I took it off and blocked the hole off with a 1/8" steel plate. I was able too drill out and chase the original 1/4" threads where the screw had broken off. So with that blocked off the engine sounded a good bit quieter. Now then, if I hold my finger on the choke plate holding it closed a bit, the engine runs perfect like its supposed too. If I take my finger off it opens up all the way and the engine speeds up and runs terrible. So I guess that I'll have too find a riser too put back on the engine.
Open too suggestions here!!!!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Mayor,

Don't give up!! I've got a 1976 Loadstar 1700 with an MV404 like yours. My line setting ticket shows like you surmise a T496 5 speed tranny, number on the right of the line set is 134960012J

I am NO mechanic, not even close, so I found a shop that has a mechanic about 58 years old or so, used to work at an IH dealership back in the late 70's. I had always heard bad things about the MV404 and the way mine ran when I got it, I started to concur. That mechanic that I mentioned SOMEHOW got that thing purring like a kitten. That crazy MV404 starts and idles even down to 10 degrees the other morning. I MARVEL at the darn thing. Sure it drinks gas like no tomorrow but it sure runs better than I ever imagined. So again I say, don't give up.

Sorry I can't help you on the parts that you need. I persevered with mine and am VERY happy!!!

If you need more suggestions, maybe I'll ask my mechanic about what he did and try to write it down for you. Finding a guy that can adjust these old carburetors is tough. Lots I've found THINK they can adjust them, only this guy that I've found REALLY knows what he is doing, when to rebuild the carb, when to put a NEW carb on etc.... He just put a NEW Holley on a 1974 IH 200 pickup that has a points operated SV392 in it. That motor pretty much sat for 10 years, now we made a FANTASTIC snowplow rig out of it. That mechanic has got it running perfect now too!!! Guess what I'm saying is that find the right mechanic I'll bet that motor is a diamond in the rough.

I even had parts from the carb come lose and go thru the motor. Right now we have a screw imbedded in one of the pistons but it still runs fantastic.

PETE 389

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am

Well...after extensive searching for the choke control only too find the ones who do have it wants more than the truck is worth originally has pushed me in the direction of a hand choke.

I just got back from town and aquired the new 16 gauge metal for the drivers side floor pan. (old one is rusted out). I'll get that all cut out and fitted now and mig it back into place.
Also got a quart of POR-15 for the chassis. I'll give her a good coat of that topped off with some automotive gloss black and we should be in business for some time too come!.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 am

Good Morning fellas.....
I have the whole day too work on Big Red......even if it is cold outside right now!
Plans are too pressure wash the inside of the cab getting into all the crevices between the body metals, back of cab at floor, etc. and get all the tranny and frame cleaned up while I have the floor pan out. After that it is add heat and dry everything out good. The seat belts are all removed now (old bolts came right out and looked new) so I'll pressure wash them also and polish up the chrome parts......there is a little rust on a few of them that I'll have too contend with also.
The dash may get some attention today.....the original stickers are in great shape and not scratched up at all so I'll keep them but the dash will have too be sanded and repainted black as there is a little rust starting too gather here and there.
I'm starting the picture taking process today and the scrap book will start building tonight on the truck so I'll try too get some before and after pics. started if you guys are interested. Having a great time with this project now!!!.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Always interested in seeing some pictures of others progress!
48 KB-2 on 75 International 4x4 chassis

4? M5H6 with solid type cab and front winch

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Might try Irish Mike- he was selling some Loadstar parts and might have what you need. Or you could post up wants on the swap meet section.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Owdy fellers!
Well......I'm right into this truck and she's coming along nicely, but slow. I've got the dash all cleaned up and sanded down and repainted now.....all floorpans are done......seat frame is going in tomorrow and the interior paint will soon follow. The rearend is giving me some problems as the adjusters are frozen from sitting so long.....I'm probably going too have too drill them out and chase the threads, then re-machine the parts! UNLESS...they are still available thru IH! (I HOPE). These have dual rear adjusters and both on both sides are frozen tight!......the casting that holds them too the backplate has one bolt and one rivet so I assume you have too buy the whole backplate too replace them????.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 am

You mean the rear brake adjusters? Don't even try to drill that screw,it's hardened and well...
Besides which if you bugger up the threads or break the support (it's not as strong as it looks),lots a luck finding a new one. They were available separately at one time,not sure about now though. To find the right PN the rear brake code from the LST would be very helpful,also which side and upper or lower. Off the top of my head I can recall at least 8 different part #'s for them.
Also the support is riveted to the backing plate so easy removal to soak it wouldn't be easy. Then you'd have to put it back on,new ones came with a rivet but at the dealer we got grade 8 "screws" with a tapered flat head and a hex drive hole,G8 locking nut too. IIRC we got them from Lawson products(?).
The adjuster screw,wheel and most other related items are available,either Wagner,Euclid or Raybestos. (they list the stuff anyway)

If they're manual adjust remove the "clicker" (the spring that goes in the adjuster wheel teeth) and after a good soaking try tapping it "smartly" in both directions with a drift & BFH. A little heat may help too,just don't over do it.Oh,the screw that holds the clicker is self tapping so be careful and try not to snap it off,just a hassle to drill out.

Wildmanbill recommends a penetrating oil in another thread he swears by,may be just what you need?

http://www.freealloil.com/freeall.html

Here's the thread...
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1276
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 am

Scottso.....your just full of good news! Lol..... I figured this was gonna be a bear.....I've had them soaking in Penetrating oil fo some time now and they have been stuck for a while because someone tried too adjust them and broke one of the fingers off the wheels.
I've gently tapped them both ways with a BFH several times over several months but with no avail. This morning, I'm adding some heat and trying too get things moving.
Thanks for the quick reply.....I'm really enjoying the work on this truck!.
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar