Loadstar Alternator

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Loadstar Alternator

I wonder if I am the only one with this problem . My Loadstar 1600 with 304 wore out the pivot hole in the alternator to the point that it shakes at idle now. Alternator seems fine , bearings rotate freely and quiet. No noticeable end play. This happened years ago with the first alternator too and I had to replace the alternator housing. Looks like I need to do the same again and wondered if it is unique to my truck or a common IH problem. I have never heard of another like it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Loadstar Alternator

Thats why heavy trucks use an SAE std mount. They have a spool in between the "ears" on the alternator and the back "ear" has a split bushing in it to tighten up against the spool inbetween. It make for a soild mount.
I have bored out the ear on worn alternator and bushed back to STD size with good results.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Thats why heavy trucks use an SAE std mount. They have a spool in between the "ears" on the alternator and the back "ear" has a split bushing in it to tighten up against the spool inbetween. It make for a soild mount.
I have bored out the ear on worn alternator and bushed back to STD size with good results.

Thanks for the feedback. I have yet to take this one off the truck but hopefully tomorrow I will find out if it has something like you are talking about.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:11 pm

I don't recall selling many mounting brackets but it sounds like one (or both) of the holes in the ears may be worn? Finding a bracket is probably like finding hens teeth so if a hole is worn consider a steel bushing there too.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:01 am

If the bracket is too worn for bushings any competent machine shop should be able to fill the tabs with weld, then drill new holes straight and true. I think the bracket is cast iron so make sure its a competent shop, probably an old one, with lots of gray haired gentlemen walking around. And if your alternator is toast I just got a new one from NAPA, they had it in stock for less than $50.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

SC Loadstar wrote:If the bracket is too worn for bushings any competent machine shop should be able to fill the tabs with weld, then drill new holes straight and true. I think the bracket is cast iron so make sure its a competent shop, probably an old one, with lots of gray haired gentlemen walking around. And if your alternator is toast I just got a new one from NAPA, they had it in stock for less than $50.

Last time I just replaced the front half of the original alternator. Can't recall where but somehow I got that part and of course it included the new hole. Bracket holes appear to be ok on this one. I have seen these type alternators with a rear brace in some applications. This alternator has the threaded hole on the back to attach one but no easy place on the engine block to attach an extra arm.

Return to Loadstar