1970 Loadstar CO-1800

The workhorse

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

1970 Loadstar CO-1800

Hello All,

I'm starting to do some work on my 1970 International Loadstar CO-1800. We have affectionately named her "Her Name is Frank". I bought her last spring in Spokane and we drove her down to Boise without any issues other that sucking gas and speed. Last August we loaded her up with several motorcycles, camping gear and 55 gallon drums of water and headed to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week. We got about 50 miles outside of Boise when she started to overheat and blew out the side of the radiator fluid holding tank. Luckily we found an old codger in Mountain Home who knew how to solder it correctly and we were back on the road. Hundred or so miles more down the road she seem to not be getting any gas and started to sputter and died. We had to rerun a fuel line bypassing the solenoid that switched tanks and got her running again. Made it to the Flats that evening without any more issues. In the morning on the way to the Salt we were sitting in line and she started to overheat again. We replaced the thermostat and it seemed to help a little bit. We just made sure that it was topped up whenever we were moving.

We used her to move into a house, as a sometimes drive to work and for hauling firewood. I really enjoy the time spent behind the wheel, but I think the engine was tired, the wood on the bed was starting to fall apart and even though we had washed underneath it several times after Bonneville the salt had taken its toll and was showing where she needed some help.

This winter hit pretty cold for about a week where the temperature high was in the 20's. Came out one morning to find a green icicle dangling beneath the truck. I wasn't sure where the leak had come from, but this cemented the idea that we should probably rebuild the 392 she had in her and get everything solid for this year. And that was the plan up until a week ago.

Last week a 1980 DT466B engine with a 5 speed transmission came up for sale on Craigslist for $350. I couldn't really pass up the opportunity to put in a motor that would double the gas mileage. I don't like the idea of mixing different makes like a Chevy 350 in a 1932 Ford, but to find a better motor of the same make and to upgrade the system make perfect sense. The cost of the rebuilt for the 392 would be the same cost of the DT466 rebuild.

Plan this spring and summer is to rebuild the DT466 and get it installed. Then replace the air lines for the air brakes and wipers. Can hear a small air leak behind the dash sometimes when the wipers are turning. Take off the bed, clean and paint the frame, then reinstall the bed with new wood and sides. And if there is still time build a viewing platform for Bonneville. I think it is all possible, but if we don't complete it in time for Bonneville there are a couple other vehicles in line to take that we are sure will break down somewhere along the way.

Added a few photos of how she looked when I bought her, on the Salt and as she sits now. Will add picture of line setting ticket.

Any help with where to get parts for the brake system would be greatly appreciated.

Mick
Attachments
IMG_20140311_191049579_HDR.png
How she now sits
img042.png
On the Salt Flats last year
3tf3K93Hf5rb5Ke5t4d6b6760316380c3115c.jpg
When I bought her in Spokane

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 1970 Loadstar CO-1800

Here are pictures of the line setting ticket and engine.
Attachments
IMG_20140322_164107193_HDR.png
DT466B
Line Setting.png
Line Setting Ticket

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 am

Welcome to the site, Mick. You have a nice looking truck. Those CO Loadstars have a look all their own. I'm a fan of the DT series diesels too. The DT466 is going to be longer. Is there room between the cab and bed for it to stick out a little?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Dean I believe there will be enough room between where the cab and bed sit. We're thinking of shortening the bed up a little any way to make it so we can have a trailer hitch installed. Right now the bed hangs past the frame about two feet. If we take that off the front and move it forward it should be good for a frame mounted hitch.

I think the biggest hurdle with the DT466 is going to be installing it. I think we'll end up removing the cab to slide it in from the front.

Mick

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Nice looking truck!

Is the five speed an overdrive? Will the rear end gearing be appropriate for a diesel? Do I understand correctly that you're converting to air brakes?

John

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 pm

John,

Neither the 5 speed with the 392 or with the DT466 have overdrive. Both of the 5 speeds, T36 it has now, CM5252-A with the DT466 have the same 1to1 ratio in 5th. I believe it will be slower with the DT466 if I keep the same gears in the rear end. Two speed rear is a RA186 with a gear ratio of 6.14/8.38. I'm looking into seeing if I can change the gearing in the rear axle. If not I might find a rear axle with a better ratio. Either way when we drive it we're not looking to go anywhere fast.

It came from the factory with air brakes. I just want to make sure they are all sealed up and new. Trust me they work fine. I found out the hard way when a woman cut in front of us at a yellow light and slammed on her brakes. This was my first time driving a vehicle with air brakes, so my instinct was to slam on the brakes and cut a little left. Friend's dad driving behind us says he saw light under four of the tires. I don't think it had been driven a lot in the past few years and you know how things like hoses and seals get when they are not in uses. So I would like to go through it all and make sure.

Mick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm

To be perfectly honest,you'd be better off rebuilding the 392. The engine OH cost might be close BUT that's where it all ends.

First,what year is the DT? What model truck is it from? Is it mechanical or electronic? I see you have a Spicer trans with it,correct? What other accessories come with it?

Have you looked into a new radiator? The one for the 392 will in no way handle a DT.

All the mounting will have to be fabricated,likely including cross members.The shift linkage from the tower back will as well. The original drive shafts may be too weak for the DT's torque (very likely),so larger tubes (4") with at least Spicer 1600 series components should be adequate.
There will likely be clearance issues with the dog house too,I know it was taller in DT equipped Cargostars.

FYI, In case you're unaware the CO Loadstar was available with the IH DV462/550,DD 6V53 & Perkins D354 diesels.
The DT-466 was introduced in trucks ca.1975 and was used in the Cargostar 1850B/1950B.

The RA-186 is an Eaton E 17202 18,500lb cap.,there were 3 "taller" ratios available,4.33/5.89 ~ 4.87/6.65 ~ 5.57/7.60. Very common rear,shouldn't be hard to change,but that needs to be calculated to find which is best.

Nice to see you have the LST,how about a parts manual?
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:18 am

The DT is from 1980. Not sure what model it was out of, but it wasn't a cabover. Shifter is a standard shifter straight from the transmission. The DT is mechanical with the rotary injection pump. The transmission is a Spicer CM5252-A. It came with the alternator, power steering pump, and compressor.

I have been looking into a new radiator for it and have the dimensions from another truck that ran a DT.

All of the mount will have to be fabricated as well as a change to the shifting linkage. New drive shaft was already in the plan as this engine is a bit longer than the 392. Will see if changes to the dog house have to be made once we get the 392 out and begin mockup.

I like the DT466 and it may cost me more in the long run, but it is what I think will work out for me.

Appreciate the information on the RA186. I have a service manual for the DT466, but do not have a parts manual for the CO. I see several online for the Loadstar series, but none that specifically call out the CO. Would like to know exactly which manual number to look for.

Mick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm

I posted some of what I figured was pertinent to your plan. Since your new here I have no idea of your experience,knowledge etc. with medium duty trucks or IH's.
I try to cover as many avenues I can think of,been around trucks my entire life one way or another and at 55 have learned a thing or two along the way.

I asked if it was mechanical/electron because without the ECM & throttle pedal it would be useless.

A radiator for a conventional cab will very likely not fit,they were "tall" while IIRC CO's were "wide".
I'm not sure what PS pump came on the DT but I know the original is an Eaton U series and the steering gear is a Ross (TRW) HF52. The "new" pump may not be compatible.

The parts manual for the truck is the MT-112,it covers Loadstar's from '61-1/2 to '70,both conv. & CO.
Binder Books may be the best bet,they're brand new reprints and probably the last revision (updated version) IH printed.
http://www.binderbooks.com/1962-78%20Loadstar.htm

Hope you plan on keeping/selling the 392 & T-36.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 am

Scottso,

I'm 37 and have been around cars most of my life. I'm okay with some of the newer stuff, but if it is old, simple and mechanical I think I can do most of it myself. Quite a few of the vehicles I have owned have been older than me. I'm drawn to what some would say oddities. I have owned a 1962 Scout, a 1969 Javelin and two 1965 Rambler Marlins. One of the Marlins still sits in my garage slowly being built into a Bonneville racer. I look at Internationals sort of as an oddity. They don't make the light duty line any more and they are getting rarer.

This is my first medium duty truck, my first air brake truck and first cabover. I'm certainly behind the learning curve on many of the things, but always willing to learn and ask questions. I may come off a little quick but it is probably my impatience in wanting to get a start on this DT motor.

Thanks for the link to the parts manual. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 392 and T36, probably sell them cheap to someone who will use them in one of their own.

Mick
Next

Return to Loadstar