Oil filter for 1966 304 SV

The workhorse

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 am

Re: Oil filter for 1966 304 SV

Bill, Which one is yours plumb for? If you have the room and it is easy to get at to replace, I think a larger capacity filter would be better. That is my opinion only.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm

First off the 2 spin-on filters are NOT interchangeable,they have different threads.Which Bill noted. To change the style you'd need to replace the "stud" it screws onto which screws into the base.

The angled spin-on was used on light line trucks & Scouts,one reason was for axle clearance with 4x4's,more for changing it than the axle hitting it. The straight type was used in Loadstars & Cargostars.For whatever reason when the new S-series mediums came out in '79 they went to the angled version,much to the chagrin of many fleet mechanics I knew. They liked the larger filter,plus they'd now have to stock 2 filters for the same engine. I had some buy studs to change them,back then it only cost a few dollars but in the end saved :t3901; as they didn't have to stock 2 filters.

Which one to use is more a matter of personal preference and if the clearance is sufficient. There probably isn't really much difference with the slightly added capacity of the long "2 quart" over the short "1 quart" filters when it comes to filtering capability. There are way's to check each filter mfrs. specs. such as microns etc. to choose which filter & brand you'd prefer,they're not all the same.My preference would be 1)Fleetguard or 2)Baldwin,both make quality filters.
The 1Qt is probably easier to find and cheaper than the 2Qt. One reason IH likely used the 2qt. in the medium trucks is because they had 9 quart capacity oil pans,although that philosophy later changed.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 pm

My 304 in the Loadstar 1600 takes a Fleetguard LF522 filter. That cross references to a Baldwin P203. My Baldwin filter book actually lists 3 different lube filters for the SV304.
P183 which replaces an IH filter number 133205-R91
PT-82-HD which replaces IH filter number 210297-R91
P203 which replaces IH filter number 214731-R91

You can probably check it out at the Baldwin filter site. http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 am

lbesq wrote:Bill, Which one is yours plumb for? If you have the room and it is easy to get at to replace, I think a larger capacity filter would be better. That is my opinion only.

Hi,
And that opinion is backed up by the research I did. I admit I'm new and inexperienced when it comes to IH trucks. But about a year ago while I was waiting for my first ever IH truck to be delivered from Alaska (it took about 3 months) I did a very thorough analysis and comparison of over 300 different spin-on full-flow oil filters manufactured by Wix and Baldwin that would physically fit the SV V8 IH gas engine. I compared not just the filtering micron nominal and absolute size, but also the dirt holding capacity in grams, the flow/restriction to flow at various psi pressures, the sq in. area of filtering media, types of media, even the relative price of each filter.

I started from a clean slate as I was new to IH trucks, had no preference as to which filter to use and at the time I was being given conflicting suggestions on which filter was best. But no one could back up their recommendation with facts such as this filter is best because it filters the finest particles, or this one is best because it has the least restriction to flow, or this one is best because it holds the most dirt. So I set out to find the answers on my own. I sifted through a stack of catalogs and technical info about a foot high from Baldwin, Wix, and the Filter Manufacturers Council. And after many conversations and emails with the engineers and technical support of both companies, I came to some conclusions that sometimes seems to be at odds with past traditional filter suggestions.

I wrote up my findings on this page 2 of this thread:
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/ba ... ers-2.html

And at the end of my very long post there I placed two tables with a summary of the technical specifications of about a dozen filters that seem to be the best filters for the V8 IH gas engine that money can buy, so to speak.

For what its worth, just thought I'd pass along that info here. Wix would not release much in the way of technical info on their filters. And all the technical specs I could find indicate that the filters that fit the smaller 3/4 - 16 thread are much superior to the filters that use the medium duty 1 - 12 oil filter thread in terms of particle size captured, quantity of dirt held and less restriction to flow. Consequently all filters listed in those tables use the light-line 3/4 - 16 thread.

So if you read over that post, I would appreciate comments from the experienced IH experts.
...Sorry, I apologize if I hijacked the thread, but it does kind of fit the topic of oil filter recommendations. And many are oil filters not usually encountered.

Thanks.

BTW, who makes Fleetguard or do they manufacture their own filters?

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:21 pm

To answer your question Steve, Fleetguard is the aftermarket brand of CUMMINS filtration,which obviously is owned by CUMMINS engine co. The Fleetrite label sold by INTERNATIONAL dealers are also made by Fleetguard and use the same base PN's with an "R" after the letter prefix and an "8" as the first digit.

The plant is in Cookville Tn. about midway between Knoxville & Nashville,you can see it from I-40. I used to go by it in my OTR days when I got the N.J. to LA run.

Interesting history and I now know what happened to DeLuxe Filter. (so that fulfilled my siggy quote for today. lol)
http://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/ht ... story.html

You're the only one I can think of that's done research like that. A bit mind numbing when you get into it,even worse listening to some lecture on it at a parts seminar. Image

Btw, here's the FG #'s for the SV8
LF551A 1qt
LF690 2qt.

As for the cartridge element Ralph posted the only pn I recall stocking is the LF522. It was also used on the IH 4 & 6 cyl's from the '60's to when IH went to all spin-on.
One of those other IH #'s looks familiar though,I'll have to look.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:05 am

Lloyd, to answer you're question, I have both. And I put a V-345 in a 1210 that came from a Loadstar, so it has the bigger oil filter. At the moment there are 2 V-345's in the garage waiting to be rebuilt. They;re one of each. Not intending to brag, just collect faster than I use things. Promised my better half, I wouldn't get any more trucks until after I got rid of 2. I'm working on it. :oops: Bill

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:40 pm

I understand that Bill, The International seems to be an addicting vehicle. Only have two right now, but still need to pick up the KB5 Mail Truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Scottso wrote:
Btw, here's the FG #'s for the SV8
LF551A 1qt
LF690 2qt.

As for the cartridge element Ralph posted the only pn I recall stocking is the LF522. It was also used on the IH 4 & 6 cyl's from the '60's to when IH went to all spin-on.
One of those other IH #'s looks familiar though,I'll have to look.

I forgot to mention. I use the same oil filter (LF522) in both my BD264 sixes and a BD240. Interesting to note that some of these engines had the oil filter "up" and some were "down". Meaning the through bolt is located at either top or bottom.
Has anybody mentioned yet that the same 304 engine used in the Scout II took a spin on oil filter? Mine did. I used to wonder if a person could convert the Loadstar 304 to a spin on oil filter just by using the filter base of a Scout 304?
Baldwin lists 2 different spin on oil filters for the 304 engine. A B167 or a B2. Only difference is in the length of the filter .
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/startt ... sapps.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Either filter base can be used on all the SV8's + the 4 cyl's,the angled or straight downward.The filters have different hole & thread sizes,so you need to use the correct stud for each filter.You can even change from the cartridge type to spin-on or with no problem,they use the same base to block gasket (860363R4).

Looking at the Loadstar,Scout2 & "10" series LL books for PN's the base for the short S-O filter was only available with a filter attached,while with the LS everything is listed separately. Good 'ol IH. :roll:

Anyway FWIW,here's some number's...
919782R91 Filter w/base (this is the angled base)
920068R1 Stud,filter
918266R92 Filter (short S-O) (=LF551A Fleetguard /B2 Baldwin)(3/4-16 thread)

918267R3 Base,oil filter (this is the straight one/Loadstar)
436922C1 Stud,filter
427207C2 Filter (= LF690 Fleetguard/B167 Baldwin)(1-12 thread)

I found one of the short filter assy's (919782R91 Filter w/base) not long ago,they want $129 for it.Kinda pricey IMO.

Good thing Lloyd's not a mailman,talk about snail-mail! :lol:
Previous

Return to Loadstar