Mini Hood Shocks

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 am

Mini Hood Shocks

About a year ago I sold a Loadstar parts truck I had bought out-of-state. Long story short, they had to inspect it to make sure it was not stolen before I could transfer ownership. Comiefornia is very strict about some DMV things. But the inspection had to be done in secret because we're not supposed to know the secret places where they might have put the VIN numbers, like the front frame by the steering box for example.

So I had it towed to the highway patrol office. Two days later they called and told me it was ok and I could tow it home. And they signed off the inspection part of the DMV paperwork.

But I noticed lots of new cracks in the paint of the butterfly hoods, and one of the emblems was broken. The damage was clearly the result of opening the hood and then just letting it fall slam shut, probably multiple times. Fortunately it was a parts truck I was selling.

Once completed I will need to take my good Loadstar for inspection to officially put it back on the road. But I don't want the same thing to happen to my good truck. Is there some type of a mini shock absorber I can attach to the butterfly hood hinges that will allow the hood to slowly close when released and not just slam shut? Perhaps something like they put on some hatch back cars?
I've never had that problem, common sense has always told me to just hold the handle when opening or closing the hoods. But apparently that's not common sense to everyone.
Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 pm

Re: Mini Hood Shocks

Take the hood off and carefully place it in the back. Just incase, a few tie-downs might be a good idea.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:09 am

Re: Mini Hood Shocks

nikkinutshop wrote:Take the hood off and carefully place it in the back. Just incase, a few tie-downs might be a good idea.

I must be getting old. Yep, if I take the hood off before leaving the truck there for inspection, or before leaving the truck anywhere where the truck is out of my sight and control, solves everything. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Such a common sense solution - thank you, Sir.
:)

Return to Loadstar