Dual Wheel Conversion

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:09 pm

Dual Wheel Conversion

Hi,
Tires are so expensive. And my truck will never carry the load it once did. So I'm just wondering if the rear dual wheels and tires can be converted to a single wheel and tire? Has that ever been done before? But I want to keep the Dayton spoke-type hubs, even if that means machining down a spacer or having a machine shop make some other type adapter, perhaps out of a tire rim. I don't mean just removing the inner wheel like shown on my parts truck pictures below. I'd like the rear wheels to closely track the front wheels. How can I convert my dual rear wheel set up to single rear wheel setup? Would just flipping the wheels around and using the kind of clamps like used on the front wheels work? That sounds like the offset then would be way off the other direction, but I never tried it yet.

BTW, that parts truck is very rusted out and the frame has a big crack just under the cab so its not worth restoring. I'm still gathering parts as I intend to rebuild its front axle and put it under my good Loadstar to convert it to 4wd.

LS-Parts-Truck-12.JPG
Attachments
LS-Transport-1.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:12 pm

Re: Dual Wheel Conversion

Two easy ways to single out a set of spokes, but neither will get you what you want.
https://www.finditparts.com/products/56 ... gIxtfD_BwE
I'm not sure it could take the drive torque without slipping, they are designed for lift axles and the like. It should if sized right as brake torque is more than drive torque.
The second method is to mount a bare rim either on the inside or the outside position with a rim and tire in the other position.
Neither of these will center the tire in the center of the spokes.
Front clamps will not work on the rear.
I don't know of any way short of custom rims to do what you want. It would likely require a "super single" rear rim, cut down from 14" to 8.25 or 9" width.

Return to Loadstar