Is NOS Too Old?

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 12, 2023 1:56 pm

Is NOS Too Old?

Hi,
I have heard and read many times how difficult it is to find the proper wheel cylinders and other brake parts for Loadstars. And how expensive they are if you do find them. I want all standard repair parts (wheel cylinders, springs, etc) ready before I begin. Without opening anything up I can see they are leaking badly.
So I immediately first turned to eBay. There I found both upper and lower NOS wheel cylinders in their original IH boxes. I thought it would be better to get the real thing instead of aftermarket wheel cylinders of unknown quality of fit and finish. And I thought I was getting a deal at $13 apiece.

But now that I have them in hand I'm beginning to wonder. . . They are clearly NOS. But by the boxes they appear to be 50 plus years old. That means the rubber parts in them is also 50 years old. They look good now, but I wonder how long they will last before they begin to leak in usage. Do you think they're ok as is, or in your opinion or do you think for long term use I would be better putting new rubber parts in them now before I install them? Also, how would I know how old the rebuild kits are? Where would I find the newest kits? I would prefer 50 year old NOS over 30 year old rebuild kits. Or do you think I should just install them as they are now and just wait until they leak. Then address the problem? The truck will only get occasional use.
They might last for several years or perhaps just several months. I just don't have the experience to make an educated guess.

BTW I found out these wheel cylinders are also available at Napa. So I don't know why everyone on other forums or facebook is complaining about proper Loadstar brake parts being so impossible to find, unless its because they are trying to find them by truck year, make and model instead of by part number. As for the springs, its true Navistar no longer manufacturers them, but it only took one call to be referred to 4 different dealers who had them in stock.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 12, 2023 6:55 pm

Re: Is NOS Too Old?

I would put the NOS on and not look back. I got whatever I could find on my K-7 some NOS some modern rubber parts. The NOS boots were just fine and supple.

Return to Loadstar