Basic Tachometer Info Needed

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:13 pm

Re: Basic Tachometer Info Needed

nikkinutshop wrote:Why couldn't Isspro's tech support tell me that? If I had to ask that question, my hand would be on the EXIT door handle. That is something the sales should know. If the person does not know, get some help ASAP.
I know there are Old IHC tachometers out there waiting to be discovered.
It has been my experience that I had better know what I want and need before I go to buy something. I used to f"k up the counter know-it-all. I would ask for a part by part number or detailed description. The dummy would ask for the vehicle make and which engine. An R120, 4X4 with a 6.9 Diesel and C6 automatic always set off a fire storm of confusion. I miss that truck. Check eBay.

Yes, I can see where that would cause them to have a complete melt-down. They would just tell me, "sorry, no longer available", no matter what it was. When I first got my first IH, a Travelette about 8 years ago, I immediately went to the local parts store to get some oil and a filter. I asked for the filter for an International pickup with a 304 V8. He started to look in his computer then asked me what year of Ford that was.
Or the time I needed to replace a brake line in my '68 Loadstar. All the counter person could ask was what year, make and model of truck. I had to argue with him because he insisted they did not carry the brake line or it would be in their computer. And I insisted brake lines go by size diameter and fitting, not make and model and I could cut and flare a length to fit my truck. I pointed out a whole rack of different brake lines I could see in the back, but I was not allowed behind the counter.
Or the time I needed some 5/8 water hose. Fifteen minutes later he came back with a piece of steel-reinforced high pressure hydraulic line he had cut for me.

The ignorance never ends. It just takes a quick look on facebook at all the IH projects that get started but never finished. I'm in the Loadstar group there and I see so many projects, for example, where people attempt to swap a 3/4 ton Ford or Dodge frame for their Loadstar frame. This is their effort to upgrade the drive train and brakes to something newer and better. And in the end they end up with no vehicle but a big pile of useless parts.
Another one I recently saw the person was selling their incomplete project where they were attempting to mount a Chevy engine behind the cab on a customized frame. Why . . . just to look cool.
Yet their "how to swap and upgrade" with GM high-performance car engines, axles, brakes etc. questions never ends. I'm all for learning how, but it would be nice if they would seek some guidance from people with experience. So much blind leading the blind there. I am constantly trying to refer people to these IH forums. But all they want to do is Facebook. . . . rant over.

Thank you so much for your help over the years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:26 am

One of my semi's had none of the original drivetrain except for the rear suspension. All was still IHC, but going off the VIN would get you the wrong parts every time. I often got "who makes Marmon" after they insisted on an application. Marmon was produced until 1997, so well into the computer age, but was a low production truck.
Even harder was when I was maintaining a fleet of British buses. I would ask for a part and they always wanted an application, which they never heard of and wasn't in their "books" Back in the day before computers. It took awhile to get them trained to just go get what I asked for, or bring in the back and let me pick out what they couldn't figure out.
I found out early, that having parts manual is worth its weight in gold. Wouldn't have helped with your brake line guy, I admit.
Too many see these "car show" sites, and see a 50's medium truck used as a car hauler with a SBC or something and think they can do it.
They do not understand that a Loadstar (or equivalent) is a medium truck and passenger car (or pick-up truck) components will not work.
The big three used variants of the car engines in trucks, but it stopped there, the frame and other drivetrain were often vendor spec'd truck components. They aren't "large cars" they are trucks. Knock the sheetmetal off a truck and they all look similar (until recently) because they were all made from the same vendor spec'd parts.
A Loadstar on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton frame goes from a GVW of 16K-40K to a 10K max. You have big clunky sheetmetal on a pick-up frame that can't haul much.
Just my rant!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:06 pm

It seems like the most common modifications I see on Facebook right now is where people swap in late model Chevy engines and automatic transmissions. Then shorten the wheelbase as much as possible and install air ride suspensions. They "slam" modify the frame so the truck can sit on the ground when parked. And by on the ground I mean the frame and bottom of the cab sit on the ground. And if they get that far they install 20 to 24 inch chrome wheels with tires only a couple inches more in diameter than the rim. I took a quick ride in one of these modified trucks once. It was the worse riding vehicle I ever rode in in my life. But the person was very proud of the way it looked parked sitting on the ground.
I doubt if even one in ten people complete their planned truck modifications. They give up for one reason or another along the way.

I like to modify my trucks too, but I only do it to make it better, not just different. For example, my truck has a 10k rpm tachometer wired in it. So I am replacing it with a more appropriate 3500 or 4k rpm tachometer. The Isspro tach with hour meter looks almost exactly like the stock speedometer / odometer. So I would consider that modification an improvement.
Or in converting it to 4wd. I could have used a commonly available Dana 60 front axle. But instead I scoured the internet for two years until I came across a properly specked Loadstar 1700 front drive axle with r&p ratio and Dayton hubs matching my rear axle. And with power steering and the part time locking hubs I would consider that big modification an improvement to my truck.

But I'm undecided if removing the governor on my engine is an improvement. I'm the only one driving my truck and I know I will not over-rev it . . at least not on purpose. Would you remove the distributor/carb governor to make things look less cluttered?

I also plan on installing a dual circuit master cylinder / brake system when the time comes. I've got some massive brakes on my rear axle. Once I remove the oversized, heavy firetruck utility bed off the truck, I know I will want a bit more braking power in the front axle to even out the braking. Hopefully I can find front wheel cylinders 1/8 in larger. I think that modification would work well.

But there never seems to be enough time to do all the projects planned. Between house repairs, yard maintenance and now my blown-out knee, life just seems to get in the way of doing what I want to do. I don't mean to ramble on so much, perhaps its my pending knee surgery that's giving me a lot of anxiety at the moment. Your future truck projects?

Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:09 pm

Gov or not? Well if you have it and it works, I would leave it. It is a fail-safe, if the foot throttle should somehow get stuck. I wouldn't go out of my way to source one if I didn't already have one. The 392 school bus I worked on had one. Never found it to be a problem.
I had cancer surgery a year ago, It has changed my priorities, a bit. I am trying to get rid of everything other than my K's. I find I am just not up to heavy mechanic work anymore.
I've got a trans job to do on my Saab turbo, and I haven't decided if I'll sell it once that is done, I don't drive very often anymore, but it is a fun car to drive.
I have a bunch of projects around the house that got pushed off while I was trucking, that I need to get done as well.
I've got 6 ash trees that have to come down, so my summer is booked already..
New cab needs to go on my '41 K and the brakes and winch controls needs attention on the '48.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:55 pm

I like simple improvement modifications. What I see under and Old IHC is two solid axles. When I look under my Ram 2500, I see two solid DANA axles. Two straight obsolete axles out and two modern axle in. Suddenly the truck is a 4X4 with modern brakes and parts available.
So you need a V8 engine. Did you know an IHC 304 and possibly an IH 345 will bolt in directly with no modifications? Adapting a modern TREMEC is not difficult.
Did you know that IHC contracted with Chrysler to have an IH version of the famous 727 made?
Two of the many persons I avoid at car shows are the smoking tires crowd and frame on the ground guys. IHC trucks were the backbone of construction in North America. They caried us from horse and buggy to this modern age. I think any truck that has endured this long haul deserves respect. Stand proud. Get up out of the dirt.
An IHC "R" looks so good on modern 4X4 axles.
This forum has suffered its share of questionable persons and ideas. The first one that comes to mind was the Ford 8.8 axle under an IHC 130.
There has been lots of questionable welding.
Attachments
BIRD SHIT WELDING FOR M2 IFS.jpg
Bird poop welding
R120 6.9.jpg
6.9 Diesel in an "R" not for the faint of heart.
YELLOW L 4X4.jpg
L110 4X4
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
R120 4X4
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to Loadstar