Lots n Lots n Lots of Questions

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:54 pm

Lots n Lots n Lots of Questions

Hi,
I have lots of unrelated questions but I'll try to put them in some sort of numbered order. I have a '69 Loadstar 1700 with 5-speed trans and 392 V8, non-improved cooling. The Line Setting Ticket (LST) was attached to the sun visor so it got tore up and shredded over the years. And the truck was manufactured in Canada so the Wisconsin Historical Society has no info on the truck. After careful reassembly of the pieces I attached an exact reproduction below using * for the missing letters or numbers.

First question:
-1- I'm using a MT-112 Master Parts Catalog that someone in pencil wrote "1962 to 1967 models" on it. Are code numbers and therefore part numbers in this book correct to use for my truck?

How to look up part numbers:
-2- The way I understand it, on the LST the first column to the right of the description is the parts book section number. Then you put the section number together with the number in the next column to get the code number. And in the book, the code number in the section index gives the Fig. number of the parts the truck uses, correct? For example, line 21 in the LST is the transmission, and 13-036 makes up the code number for Fig. 13-058 which is my transmission's parts, correct?

More LST questions:
-3- What does 4160 and 704 mean at the top of the LST?

-3- What do the next two columns mean? In the example above, on line 21 what does 0009 mean? And what does "C" mean and how do I utilize that info?

-4- Any ideas what the exact missing descriptions are in any of the LST lines?

Now a few brake related questions:
-5- Using the LST I believe I've identified some of my brake parts. Eventually I plan to rebuild my brakes. And having read about some of the difficulties people have finding the correct Loadstar brake parts, in your opinion do you think it’s prudent I buy the parts I will eventually need now? For example wheel cylinders, part number 684-834-R91 (correct?)? are no longer available and however, when they are available at Napa etc, they are often wrong. I'll need 4 for the rear axle so do you think they will continue to be available as IH new old stock for another year or two, until I finally get around to rebuilding my brakes?

-6- Same question as above for my brake shoe set. Do you agree 386-073-C91 is my correct brake part number?
-7- And in your opinion do you think I should get a new old stock IH brake shoe set now while still available at surplus places?

More LST questions:
-8- Where / how do I find the brake spring kit part number or must I buy all the springs and links etc individually?

-9- Where / how do I find the brake drum part numbers?

And now a question for the more experienced:
-10- For peace of mind, I plan to convert to a dual circuit brake system. Fig 04-281 in my MT-112 parts book appears to show such a system. But it also shows a vacuum power cylinder between the firewall and the master cylinder. For a Loadstar 1700 application would this be used in addition to dual hydrovacs or instead of them?

It appears a dual circuit master cylinder would also bolt directly to the firewall without that additional power cylinder, see fig 04-256. And therefore I would assume in that case the truck uses dual hydrovacs for powering the two brake circuits. To me that would seem more than enough. Just looking for experienced opinions. And trying to keep the truck vintage correct.

Thank you, everyone, for your help in teaching this old dog new things.

Line-Setting-Ticket-1.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:57 pm

Re: Lots n Lots n Lots of Questions

Don't get too hung on the LST, yes it would be neat to see what the truck was built with. A college from Ontario tossed them, your truck was built in Chatham. Which the plant closed because of greed from union workers. Its not really going to help you with looking up parts. You need to get MT-127 for parts & CTS-2300 for service of your truck. They can be brought from many places, I like getting them from Binder Books which used to be in Oregon. They sold out to IH America now. Do you have a good IH truck dealership in your area? Or at least find one that is close to see if they can still get parts for you. Parts people like part numbers, so would be worth having the books. Image most parts don't exist anymore today for your truck. Like fixing anything old, you need to be like MacGyver & come up with different solutions to the problem. Might be worth a call to Southland IH in Lethbridge Alberta. Owner is IH truck guy, have a look around their website. Has links to his parts for old trucks, plus all the trucks he has restored.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:09 am

Since I don't have the right parts book to begin with, please just disregard most of my post above. I'll re-edit it later once I've bought the correct parts book and I can ask questions properly.
Thank you, Sir, for letting me know.
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 am

Steve,
I think you kind of answered one of your own questions. Since the parts are hard to find, you should buy them as you find them. They aren't going to age any faster on your shelf than anyone elses.

A brake system with dual boosters on the frame will not have a booster on the firewall. When changing a brake system, braking power and front/rear balance and even tire size come into play. These can be effected if you are changing individual components. IMO it's best to stick with a factory-engineered system.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:15 pm

COPY & PASTE:
Which the plant closed because of greed from union workers.
I think you need to do more research into why IH closed. It is a complicated and detailed subject overwhelmed by many levels of bad management. The IHC example has been used as a teaching aid for manager students. The breakup of International Harvester Company did not happen suddenly, however. Many feel the trouble started long before 1984, as the company over-extended its ability to manage and provide capital for participation in multiple industries.
In 1979 IH named a new CEO, Archie McCardell, who was determined to improve profit margins and drastically cut costs. Unprofitable lines were terminated and factory production was curtailed.
Another flash point was McCardell’s compensation package, which included a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $450,000 annual salary — astronomical figures for executive compensation then, but modest by today’s standards. Workers as well as shareholders were also furious when the company forgave a $1.8 million loan to Mr. McCardell. 38
https://www.farm-equipment.com/articles ... -up?page=2
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 pm

You need to do more research yourself, there is thing called goggle that you yap about to anyone that asks a question. The truck plant that closed had nothing to do with tractors what so ever. Truck division was making $ unlike ag, construction, etc. It belong to Navistar since 1984, at its peak was close to 2000 workers in the late 90's. In 2009 the over paid union worker decided to go on strike, the plant sat idle for 2 years & then closed. 2009 was lowest sales year in a long time for truck sales for that make class 8 trucks. Now all the lost jobs went to Mexico & the Chatham area is dead! When was the last time you were in the area of Ontario? For an untrained assembly line worker making $30 bucks a hour is very good money. But as usual greed takes over, they wanted raises. Navistar said raises will happen once to turns around, nope were on strike.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:56 am

ODSteve, you can go to this link, and download the MT-127. For some reason I cannot open the PDFs online, but if you go to the link page go to the upper right a click on download. I have downloaded other manuals this way. Hope this helps.
https://www.box.com/s/otkihx6yoa/folder/26421756

Also, this brake place may be able to help you with brake parts. They do cars medium trucks and heavy trucks.
https://brakeandequipment.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 pm

Thank you for all the information and links everyone, and the little history. I have found someone willing to sell his spare MT-127, but he wants to keep its binder. So not sure what I will get, but I will now be looking for a parts book binder.
Also came across someone who bought the two complete microfiche sets of books from a dealership closing down. One set is the truck parts microfiche and the other is the ag parts microfiche, going all the way back to sometime in the 1800's. He's willing to have someone digitize the entire set and put it on the internet, if there is anyone who wants to take on such a project - many many thousands of pages. But he wants to keep the two sets complete, not just do a couple rolls of film here and there. His MT-127 on microfiche is revision #6.
Once I get the MT-127 and study it a little, I'm sure I'll be posting questions here again.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Steve

Return to Loadstar