Parts Interchange Books Mystery

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Parts Interchange Books Mystery

Hi,
A while ago I was looking for a gear for an old Dana/Spicer R8341 transmission. I had the Dana/Spicer part number but that was all I had. I called every lead I could find all over the country but with no luck. One wrecking yard/rebuilder I called told me they did not have the part but then I asked if they had a Hollander interchange parts manual. He said sure, and a minute later rattled off four other part numbers that gear went by. Using the IH part number, I found the gear in stock at Outback Parts in Canada. I've since called Hollander. They insist they have never had any medium or heavy duty truck parts interchange books, now or in the past. Unfortunately I don't remember who gave me those part numbers.

All I know is that the 4th speed gear used in the Dana/Spicer R8341E auxiliary transmissions used Dana/Spicer part number 70-8-56 and there is some book that shows that is the exact same gear as IH 456-470-C1 .. and GM 704-309 .. and Ford D2HZ7101B .. and White 02-709-1838.

My question is this - Does anybody know of any books other than Hollander published in the 70's or 80's with this kind of information? Or can anybody tell me which Hollander book contains this info? Many Hollander books are sold on eBay but the people selling them just sell them. I've sent messages and many replied they have dozens of Hollander books but they have no idea how to look up anything in them or determine if they have any medium duty trucks or truck parts in their books. If anybody can tell me which Hollander book has the R8341 transmission interchange parts listed in it, I would really appreciate their help.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:21 am

Re: Parts Interchange Books Mystery

I believe it is true that Hollander didn't make books for heavier trucks. The reason is simple, the heavy trucks used vendor supplied components. IHC and others used their own part numbers but the part is the same regardless of who used the component in most cases. I know that IHC made a crossover book for IHC to OEM for some parts, These books were given to dealers only AFAIK. Some parts manuals have the OEM part number in them while other OEM didn't allow the truck mfg to have access to the OEM part number.
I recent ran into this working on an IHC RA472 axle. While the axle was designed by IHC they were made by Spicer Axle for IHC. I needed an older style power divider lock air cyl. Pawing thru my older parts manuals I found the Dana/Spicer part number. The same cyl was used on older Eaton axles.
In the IHC parts manuals the OEM part number is proceeded by the code IHC uses for that vender in Bold type, like [b]EATxxx[b]

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Re: Parts Interchange Books Mystery

Just a quick reply to a message I received - I am no longer looking for the gear. Outback Parts had one under the IHC part number. Then I got a call from General Truck Parts in Chicago. They found a box of 66 of those gears under the Dana/Spicer part number. What I'm looking for now is the book that lists the various different manufacturers part numbers for this one gear. I'd just like to know what book that is, in case I ever need another part for that trans. I thought it was a Hollander but they say they never made one for truck parts. But somebody did sometime in the past - those were 5 good different part numbers for one part someone pulled from a book.

Interestingly I just came across this - see picture below. The seller wants $80 for it. Too pricey for me especially considering the seller can't tell me what year trucks this book covers, the type of trucks, or if it includes 4-speed auxiliary transmissions.

I'll reply to your post, Cornbinder, a little later as I think I will have more questions about what you said. I need to get to work now.
Thank you.
Attachments
HOLLANDER TRUCK PARTS-1.jpg

Return to Loadstar