1970 Loadstar CO-1800

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: 1970 Loadstar CO-1800

I doubt a speedy sleeve would work on the input of a 392, 1st it is too small, never seen a sleeve that small, 2nd it is exposed to high pressure, 3rd the common damage is too deep for a sleeve and needs machening.
If not one of the above mentioned Sheppard models, the I think the price is excessive.
1st and foremost, we need to know what gear he has, ad where the leak is.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:07 am

It most certainly would work,I did not make that up,we even stocked one for the Ross HF54,real common box in Loadstars.
I learned from the Chicago-Rawhide people about their products,matter of fact the district rep. lived about 2 miles from the dealership and stopped in quite often. He would also go on the road with me and the other parts salesman a few times a year too. Helped get us a lot of seal business,he'd give them the tools if they bought the seals from us.

I agree the price seems high, I checked a bit and a HALDEX reman. HF54 thru Napa is listed at $564.00 with a $278.00 core charge and 12month warranty.
Not saying that's the one Mick has,just to get a ballpark idea of what they go for. Plus I'm sure there are other Haldex vendors that could be less than $Napa$ or other rebuilders that do them in house.
Although,another point about using Napa is you likely wouldn't have to pay for shipping the core and maybe no shipping for anything(?).
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:19 am

Speedi-Sleeve by SKF.

The smallest size Speedi-Sleeve fits a shaft diameter range of 0.472" to 0.475" ....which is under 1/2" diameter!!
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 am

Ok, I was un aware that they were made that small, however, on the Sheppard gear, the damage is often beyond what the sleeves can repair. The shaft must be realitivly smooth for the sleeve to work (read the directions!) or the defect will come thru the sleeve. It can not repair a deep groove
I have one apart now, and it is beyond filling with metal filled epoxy and a speedy sleeve (the method recomended by speedy sleeve), it needs either the shaft turned and a new surface or a new shaft.
As I stated, this is why the Sheppard gears are priced so high on the rebuild market.
You have quoted a TRW/Ross gear and even that is high my opinion. The TRW box has only return pressure at the input shaft, where as the Sheppard has to hold back full system pressure. we are discussing two different animals here! I own trucks with both boxes and have been thru both myself. Check the rebuild price on a 392 box and you will see why I said what I said. I worked many years in the hyd industry and know must common repairs that can and are done, but a speedy sleeve on a Sheppard box will not work.
If he doesn't have a Sheppard, then all this is moot, but the info on Sheppard gears is not.
The price to overhaul a TRW seams high for how many seals there are in that box.
Seals and some parts for both boxes are avaiable from SandS truck parts (Newstar brand) thru many truck parts suppliers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am

Look here: http://www.sandstruck.com/index.html
They don't sell retail, but most truck parts suppliers are also dealers.Also bigger truck junkyards may be a dealer also.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:44 pm

I "quoted" a Ross because that is what will be found on the majority of Loadstars & Cargostars. It was only meant as a comparison to what Mick quoted and I expected Haldex (and Napa) to be on the high side.

I have links for 6 to 10 steering gear rebuilders and am sure they are all different in pricing.

We used to buy from S&S but,if their quality hasn't improved since then you can them. Although they do still list many parts that are NLA elseware.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I don't use them often, but sometimes they are the only game in town. Last year I need an input shaft for an early SQHP diff, Meritor wanted you to change the nest and bull gears to the new style along with the new shaft. S &S had the old style when Truckcraft gearing did not, and Meritor solution was out of price range.
Either they have got better, or I have been lucky, so far so good.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:51 pm

On CO-1800 it has power steering. I believe it is the HPS-70 if I'm reading the line setting ticket and parts manual correctly. I'll probably be pulling it off in a few days.

Mick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:10 pm

The HPS70 is listed with 2 codes;
05243 With 2-1/4" cylinder
05253 With 2-3/4" cylinder
The cylinder is the assist cyl. that goes from the pitman arm to a bracket on the frame,btw.
Larger cyl. is usually used with a 9000# & up front axle.

Since you have a CO the gear may not be exactly the same externally as one used on a conventional cab. Check it in your MT-112. If so that may make finding an exchange unit difficult.
Internally they should be the same.

Didn't find much in the way of parts for that model gear,Midwest lists the valve and 2 seal kits,all :t3901; That's about it.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16 am

Scottso

Should have listed the line setting ticket number 05243. Yeah Midwest was one of the few that even listed parts for sale.
I'm hoping to have a better idea of what is wrong once I get it out of the truck. Might be one of the more expensive items I'm going to have to fix besides the engine rebuild.

Mick
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar