1970 Loadstar CO-1800

The workhorse

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: 1970 Loadstar CO-1800

I did call Jones in Nampa. They said they would be able to do it if they could salvage the old gasket, but they didn't have any ideas on where to get a new gasket if the old one is bad. Asking around to some of the old hot rodders.

Mick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:24 pm

You have the MT-112 right? Look up the IH pn and try Googling it,you might be surprised. While in the book check the pn against the LS conv. I don't think it's the same but I don't have that book to check.
FYI, when using IH pn's in web searches do not use spaces the way they are printed in the book.
ie; Book = 123 456 R1 use 123456R1 and the decription. IH called the part you need a "Retainer,windshield glass. Just use Retainer though.

Also,the very last digit was sometimes changed and I always try the variations when a pn doesn't hit.
ie; R1...R2 up to R5,same with C #'s or R91/C91 = R92/C92 etc.

I tried "261833C1 retainer" which is for the conv. cab and it hits with Google,so it's worth trying.

I believe you know that the later Cargostar cab is wider (6" IIRC?)? So the one for the Cargostar A/B probably wouldn't work but might if trimmed to size(?).
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Scottso,

I do have the MT-112 and have the number written down of 896391R1 for the windshield gasket, but I cannot seem to find anything on Google. I will have to pull out the parts manual again this evening and see if I wrote it down wrong. Pretty much all of the other parts from it I have searched for at least pull back something.

You're right about the Cargostar being wider. But I might be able to get the part number for its gasket and see if I could possibly use it.

Mick

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I looked up the windshield gasket part number in the MT-112 and I had the correct part number for it.
Will keep looking.

I got the air compressor hooked up with electricity, regulator and air filter. Hooked up the sand blast cabinet and started to clean up some of the parts for the engine to get painted.
It sure is a lot easier than using a wire wheel and gets into a lot of places one can't .
Would have taken more pictures however once I got going I really didn't want to stop.

Thermostat housing half way done.

Mick

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:54 am

Made a little progress this weekend. Sand blasted a few more parts for the engine and started painting them. Then we removed the flat bed from the truck so we can clean up and paint it and the frame to protect it.

Has anyone used POR15 to protect their bed or frame?
It's expensive but I think it would do well to protect both from the salt we see at the Salt Flats.

Mick

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Took a while to get the bed cleaned up and primed, but it is ready for some paint.

Today 80 degrees tomorrow 50 degrees, will have to see how much I can get done today.

Mick

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 am

Getting a little project creep going on. The bed is almost finished being painted, so we started to work on the frame. Removed the rear axle in order to get the leaf springs repaired. Drivers side spring had broken at the shackle and the passengers side had the top leaf broken. Going to take them to get them properly repaired and checked. Initially we were just going to clean up the back of the frame and leave the front for later, but once we started going we figured it best to just get it all ground down and fresh coats of primer and paint put on.

Will be removing the transmission and cross member, so it should make if fairly easy to work inside the frame.

Need to figure out why the steering gear is leaking. Finding it hard to get seals for it. One company quotes $1000 to rebuild, seems outrageous.

Mick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Looking good, Mick!
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:31 pm

DonSkokie wrote:Need to figure out why the steering gear is leaking. Finding it hard to get seals for it. One company quotes $1000 to rebuild, seems outrageous.

Mick

What steering gear does it have? If it has a Sheppard gear (39 or 292-392) the prices I have got are not that much different. The reason is the input shaft wears a groove in the hardened shaft and has to be replaced. Due to the liablity in working on steering boxes, no rebiulder will work on this shaft, it is replaced with a new shaft from Sheppard.
In theroy, you could machine down the shaft and shrink a new wear surface on the shaft, in practice finding someone willing to do it may be hard.
I have been quoted $850 and up for rebuilt exchange Sheppard boxes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Most likely it's a Ross (manual & power) maybe a Gemmer if manual. Sheppard was not used on Loadstars or Cargostars except with dual steering gears.

What gear is it? I have a number of links for rebuilders and 1 or 2 also sell parts.

Speedi-Sleeves work on the shafts just fine.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar